UMD Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

D22 OOS, accepted into CS and Honors.

9 Likes

Can someone explain selectivity of
College park scholars? Big deal or super
Common?

Not sure why it isnā€™t there but 2020 was a 40.5% acceptance rate.

3 Likes

The transfer into engineering is not that difficult. My son knows a lot of people in FC. No one cares at the university and they live in the dorms etc. they just have to take all of their classes later in the day first semester. One of his future roommates heā€™s met is in FC.

1 Like

You do not apply for scholarships they are automatically awarded

If you Google LLP UMD it will explain the differences between the programs. Honors is the highest, then scholars, then Carillon etc. that said they all are similar in they are LLPs.

2 Likes

Last yearā€™s acceptance was 40.5% (EA and RD) and the yield rate was 28.3%, as reported by UMD

2 Likes

It could be a number of things but contact admissions on Monday.

I know for a friend of mineā€™s child even though they sent everything before the deadline they also sent another set of test scores again after the deadline. This pushes you into RD as UMD assumes you want them to use those scores instead of the ones originally sent.

Yes, I seem to recall my son having them virtually last year but who knows maybe this year will be in person.

1 Like

For anyone interested, I strongly recommend that you read posts written by @maryversity

She is no longer active on this forum, but she and her son both attended UMD (OOS) and her posts provided a great deal of useful information and insights.

2 Likes

What does it say at the very bottom? After the signature it should say major: XXXX advising college: XXXXX. If it says letters and sciences then youā€™d have to transfer into economics. I believe economics is in the BSOS college (behavioral and social sciences)

1 Like

I went the test optional route and all my other documents were submitted before deadlineā€¦ not really sure what the problem is :frowning:

Iā€™m on the same boat here. it is just so bizarre

1 Like

admitted to Spring L&S and a little disappointed hereā€¦

This is what my daughterā€™s page looks like.

2 Likes

No you donā€™t apply for the scholarship. By meeting the early admission deadline you are automatically considered. Nothing further to do.

I can only tell you about Honors and Scholars. You have to be picked for Honors when admitted. Most majors have an honors program that you can apply for later but that is slightly different. I donā€™t know much about that. As for scholars if you arenā€™t offered scholars in your admissions letter you can still apply for the program. My daughter did that and is currently in the Justice and Legal Thought. He roommate applied later as well. Applying took place sometime in February without making any commitment to attend the school. Applying was easy. I think it was a simple 250 word essay of why you want to be in the program. My son was in honors and eventually only took 9 of the 16 credits needed. He didnā€™t really like the program and some of the classes didnā€™t fit his schedule so he dropped it. They have since revamped the program in the last year so itā€™s presumably better now. The summer prior to his freshman year he applied for FIRE and got in. So he was general honors and fire. He was in the machine learning program. He did it his first two semesters. The second semester took a lot of time and as a CS major who was taking some pretty complicated classes he thought the time was better spent elsewhere. That coupled with the fact that he wasnā€™t chosen for their summer fellowship program eventhough he had a 4.0 He does credit what he learned with opening some interview doors to internships. It isnā€™t uncommon for kids to drop out of any of these programs. One of his best experiences was the summer after freshman year he went to Rome for 3 weeks and took English 393 the professional writing requirement. The class was based on food. He learned a lot ate alot and had a great time. Google UMD short term study abroad summer programs. He said that was the best way to get that gened requirement out of the way.

6 Likes

My daughter got app completed by 11/1 and still showing like this. Has anyone else experienced this? Any feedback would be helpful.

1 Like

My son sounds like your son in needing to find his people. Heā€™s admitted Mechanical engineering with an interest in Aerospace. Maybe they can get in contact if you go with UMD. BTW, weā€™re instate.

Thanks much for the advice. Will call on Monday. Nothing else was submitted pre 11/1 and it is still showing ā€œsubmittedā€ on the portal. Not giving me a warm fuzzy about MDā€¦has to be an explanation.

i have the same thing and i submitted everything by 10/4

1 Like