UMD Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

For those who have not received a decision yet and did not apply test optional - you might want to confirm that any test results sent to Maryland were actually received. Per this entry on their website:

Q: I submitted my standardized test scores more than two weeks ago, but it does not appear that UMD received them. Why is that?

Standardized test scores can take several weeks to process and be received by our office. Please confirm that the testing agency submitted your scores to the University of Maryland, College Park, using the SAT code 5814 or ACT code 1746. Applicants often send their scores to other institutions in the University System of Maryland by mistake.

If your scores were sent to the University of Maryland, College Park, confirm that the first, middle and last names indicated on your test are the same as those used on your application. Different spellings can result in scores not matching with application files.

If you have confirmed both of these details and still have questions, please emaiil us at ApplyMaryland@umd.edu for assistance.v

Anyone know what appealing the decisions may look like

Are you able to live in any freshman dorm or only specific ones?

I suggest reviewing this content on the UMD website: Freshmen Connection Housing | Department of Resident Life | University of Maryland

Thank you!

Yes, my D22 in the situation where we did not receive a decision, but all the required docs are shown as received (including ACT scores directly from ACT) well before deadline. She already emailed them, but I will be also calling on Monday.

Please let us know what they say why some of us did not get decision even when everything was received early

Appealing the admission decision? On what grounds?

Good, I only mentioned it because a friendā€™s daughter applied EA (or thought she did) and did not receive a decision. Upon further review, it seems like she sent her scores but they were not noted as received which is likely why she didnā€™t get a decision. However, I havenā€™t seen screenshots of her TAP checklist so itā€™s not clear to me if the checklist shows confirmation of test results being received vs. just being submitted.

2 Likes

It specifically says ā€œreceivedā€ and dates on the checklist for sure.

1 Like

Freshman are assigned a dorm by The Resident Life Department. You canā€™t really request a specific dorm-although you can always try by sending in an email request. However, you will be assigned to a specific dorm if invited into a Living Learning Program (LLP). Each LLP typically has its own dorm. For example, the ACES Honors program is assigned to Prince Frederick Hall. The College Park Scholars Media, Self and Society Program is assigned to Cumberland Hall and the Carillon Community Program is assigned to Easton Hall. You can find these program assignments within the program website.

I havenā€™t received a decision and all my checklist items are marked as ā€œreceived,ā€ all before or by the 11/1/21 deadline. This is getting a little annoying.

Dealing with obviously a small sample size on this thread, but some interesting unscientific observations related to Living Learning Programs (LLPā€™s) from over forty
posts-that showed stats-
Over 10 Honors College posts - almost all 4.0 UWGPA (one 3.95), almost all 1560+/35+, one test optional -no major surprise here.
Six of the eight CS/L&S majors not in Honors College were offered Carillon Community LLP. Also one in Fire and one in Scholars. Most all of these admits had very high stats, just below HC stats. Also a couple of business majors offered Carillon. When I pulled up Carillon discussions on reddit from prior year, the students were also CompSci/L&S majors in both cases. This is interesting since Carillon is much smaller than the Scholars program.
I was always under the assumption that the LLP program decisions flowed from Honors College to Scholars to other LLPrograms. However it looks like there is much more going on than a top to bottom approach - at least after Honors. I may be reading too much into the decisions on this thread, but there seems to be a deliberate intent to pull certain majors into specific LLPā€™s for what ever reason.

7 Likes

Remember they have committed to declare results by Feb 1. You will get your decision by Monday.
I know it is frustrating but try to be patient.

2 Likes

Just want to point out for students who are enrolling that the UMD housing application deadline is May 1. I know someone who missed the deadline and was out of luck. Itā€™s earlier than other schools.

4 Likes

Thanks for this observation. My D22 was accepted, but no Honors, Scholars or LLC. Iā€™m not thorough with the ways of UMD, but I thought sheā€™d be offered one of those. She submitted her 32 which is not a 1550. But she has rigor for her high school, and a 3.9 and 4.7 (when she applied, itā€™s a 4.9 now). Her major is Womenā€™s Studies and interest is law.

Her decision is totally fine, and she can apply to Scholars. If she were to attend MD, sheā€™d be auditioning for the marching band, so I think sheā€™d find her people there if not in an LLC. Sheā€™s got her eye on Pitt, but if not Pitt, UMD and University of Cincinnati will be getting 2nd visits and are wonderful schools with lots of exciting things to offer.

3 Likes

I get it, but then donā€™t post all over your social media ā€œadmission decisions are out!ā€ and then give the decisions for seemingly 95% of the kids and leave the other 5% in limbo for 3 days. Itā€™s just poor form, in my opinion. These kids (and parents!) have enough to stress about as it is.

8 Likes

Anyone who has a completed EA application but has not gotten a decision should absolutely reach out to Admissions on Monday. I would not assume that your decision has just been delayed and will be released by Feb 1.

They have posted that EA decisions have been released so if you havenā€™t received yours there is likely some issue that needs to be identified and resolved. Hopefully all those still waiting can get information on Monday by talking to Admissions.

5 Likes

My oldest son just graduated from Purdue in aero. Had a lot of great job opportunities. Interned at NASA and will be working for them. Lots of great opportunities for his peers as well with jobs at all the top aero companies. Purdueā€™s job fairs make it easy to get connected. I donā€™t think you can go wrong with either school for aeroā€¦both are on the top schools for aero lists. Purdue ranks a little higher, but once a school makes that list itā€™s more a matter of what school ā€œspeaksā€ to you, what it will cost, preferred location and what other academic and non-academic offerings meet your needs.

3 Likes

NASA right around the corner from UMD. Easier to get an internship during the semester from College Park than West Lafayette. Not sure where you are from but take into consideration the weather and travel to both places. Iā€™m sure he will be successful at either school. Just some food for thought.

1 Like