UMD Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

We are oos too, and I’ve heard the same. Going to wait and see and weigh it all out.

1 Like

UMD does not give out a lot of Merit Scholarships.

2 Likes

One can find number of scholarships UMD reported igor 2020

https://irpa.umd.edu/InstitutionalData/CommonDataSet/CDS_2020-2021.xlsx?

1 Like

@Hippobirdy Thank you for this! If I am reading it right, 926 students got an average merit award of $6,600. Not a lot of money overall.

Max in-state awards typically 5k-8k/year, max OOS awards 12.5k/yr, not including full BK scholarships

1 Like

Part of the problem with the CDS data, is that it does not identify the scholarships by the names that UMD uses to describe them

Also, it only identifies the number of enrolled students receiving scholarships, but scholarships are awarded to Admitted students, some of whom do not enroll

Last year UMD enrolled 4861 Freshmen, but offered admission to 20,382.

Either way, the odds of getting a scholarship seem low

3 Likes

Is this typical for colleges to offer admission to a much larger number of students and only 25-30% eventually enroll?

-HT

Yes. it is a normal range. I have seen as low as 10% for some universities, i think it was fordham if i remember right.

1 Like

Yes, and the percentage of admitted students that enroll is called the “yield rate”.
You can find a lot of information on yield rates on these CC forums.

Some colleges care a lot about yield and actively manage to keep the yield rate very high. Others either don’t care as much or simply work it into their process (by sending out a lot more acceptances than the freshman class size).

1 Like

Before COVID and Test Optional applications, UMD would get maybe 30.000 applications (EA and RD). They would accept about 12,000+ and get 4,300 or so to enroll.

Last year, UMD got over 50,000 applications.

3 Likes

Bcos of the uncertainty students maybe applying to more colleges this year too. So, colleges will have to admit more this year to get the same number to enroll (5000 odd)

1 Like

My son was admitted (in state) in 2014 with SAT of 2280/2400 (I think he had about 1510 or 1520 without the writing part), GPA of approx 5.70 weighted, top 10 out of approx 350, 12+ AP classes with 5’s on all tests except 1 (4) and received $5000 in merit. I think it was the Presidential Scholarship. My daughter was accepted in 2018 with 1490 SAT, GPA of approx 5.70 weighted, slightly fewer AP classes with 4’s and 5’s on all, top 10 out of approx 320. She received no merit aid at all. Child #3 with slightly higher stats than child #1 is now awaiting a decision. We’re hoping for some merit, but who knows??

2 Likes

@spidermom03 WOW, your kids did amazing! :star_struck: Did they end up going to Maryland? If not, where did they end up? And is Maryland your child #3’s top choice?

Thank you! They work very hard. Yes, my oldest two did go to Maryland. #1 graduated in 2018 and #2 will graduate this May. I think that Maryland is the top choice for #3, but he doesn’t really divulge a lot of information so it’s hard to say.

2 Likes

You must be a super proud mom.
Lot of credit goes to the mom for raising them with such good values

1 Like

Our S’s UMD application portal is empty. We have raised a ticket to the apply web. Have been following up on this ever since our application portal is empty. Anybody else seeing this?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by empty? The UMD portal has always looked bare-bones to me, compared to other colleges’ portals.
Just a “View Details” button and a “View Checklist” button. I assumed this is how it is for everyone. Is there supposed to be more info there?

That’s all I ever see too

I dont see any thing (no view details or view check list).

Terps Application Portal

You have not yet started any forms for Terps Application Portal. Please return to the Application Menu and click the link to the appropriate application form.

Back to the Main Menu

Is what I see

Has it always been this way or did you previously see the “view details” + “view checklist” buttons?

1 Like