UMiami Social Scene

So I’m attending the University of Miami in the fall and I was just curious about the social scene/ partying/ tailgating. Is the fact that it’s a private school affect the amount of “rich” partying? Is tailgating a big thing during football season? As a middle class person, does anyone feel out of place with all the rich people?

huge party scene and strong greek life

My DD attends. We are Midwestern, not wealthy, and she loves it. I consider Greek Life to be small compared to our big Football State Schools (only 15% of The U is Greek/very low). Lots of wealthy people, but no one throws it in your face but check out The U vs. FSU youtube about how they hate each other to get a feel for school spirit, very funny, The U embraces their stereotype. Lots of very attractive people that stay fit/healthy, my daughter is always at gym. She is Frost so studies a ton. Greek men have parties, girls invited, but need to join if guy if you want to go (or bring a girl to get in). Big scene in The Grove for other 85% of campus, set up Uber. You don’t have to spend money when you go to The Grove, but should have some spending money regardless of where you attend. Tailgating is surprisingly festive, very surprising to me as I expected it to be lame. Transportation to games is very well organized and free. You will have a blast if into football. Free shuttle to beach and back (and Grove but you will need Uber to get home, about $10/car/4 buddies equals $2.50 per trip). You can get to South Beach using Metro/Bus or get a group and Uber for about $6/person. One plus is you don’t need a car, metro runs by campus to Target…anywhere you want to go. I checked the place out very carefully before I approved! EVERY school is a huge party scene, Miami is no different, control yourself.