UMiami vs Tulane?

<p>What does anyone think about UMiami vs Tulane?
Academic reputation?
Social life?
School spirit?
Greek life?
Class sizes?
Miami vs NOLA?</p>

<p>I'd love your opinion! Thank you!</p>

<p>Social life=Miami
School Spirit=Miami
Greek Life=Miami
Class size varies
Academic Rep=Tulane </p>

<p>Source: Two of my brothers go too each university.</p>

<p>Thanks Rocky. I’m surprised at your comment about academics. That is the one area where I <em>THOUGHT</em> UMiami was the slam dunk. It is harder to get into than Tulane.</p>

<p>Why do you say that, @living61? In 2012-2013 Miami received about 27,550 applications and accepted about 11,000 students for a 39% acceptance rate. Tulane that same year had 30,080 applications and took 8,203 for a 27% acceptance rate. The average SAT scores at Tulane are also a bit higher, although I would never claim there is enough of a difference to really matter. But Tulane’s 25-75% range for CR, M and W was 630-720, 620-710, 640-720. Miami for those same stats was 600-700, 630-720, 590-690. I would also say that Tulane is more highly regarded nationally, despite Miami being very slightly higher in the USNWR rankings, although that is a recent, post-Katrina phenomenon. Time will tell how that holds up. But I think Rocky is correct that Tulane has the better rep academically.</p>

<p>I disagree with Rocky a bit on the other assessments, I think the schools are pretty much the same for social life, and Greek life is bigger at Tulane, at least numerically (%). Importance-wise I think the Greek presence is again very similar. No question Miami is more into sports, but as we discussed on the other thread Tulane has extremely high school pride. I suppose there are subtle shades of difference in meaning when you compare those terms, spirit and pride, as it applies to a university.</p>

<p>As far as rankings:
[]<em>[] ranks higher than Tulane according to US News, Forbes, and ARWU. OTOH, Tulane ranks higher than the []</em>[] according to Lumosity and Wash. Monthly.
According to Prowler, the []_[] beats Tulane in Athletics, Dining, Computers and Facilities, while Tulane wins in Campus Strictness, Greek Life and Local Atmosphere. They are tied in Academic reputation.
The point is that they are very evenly matched schools. It all depends where you would fit in and feel more comfortable. </p>

<p>Yeah, I will stay off my soapbox, but all undergraduate rankings are complete garbage. You can believe me or not, but I would be saying that even if Tulane were ranked in the top 10. These qualities are unmeasurable, the formulas and weightings arbitrary. You got it right at the very end @WasatchSk1er. Fit is the key, whether you are comparing these two schools, or these schools against Harvard. I think that is what the OP is trying to figure out is where the fit would be best. If we only had crystal balls. It is very hard to know based on 1 or 2 day visits, no matter how much you read about a school. You just have to take in the info and make the best judgement you can.</p>

<p>I love all of the opinions and stats. Thanks everyone! There is something about them that feels similar (in a 2-3 day visit). Maybe it comes down to the towns they are in… AHHHHHH!!!</p>

<p>The truth is that most people that apply to Tulane apply to Miami. Acceptance rates are similar too. People that like them, like them because of their similarities. Every school has it’s pros and cons. Most people end up choosing one over the other depending on acceptance and scholarship. </p>

<p>Yes, that makes sense. What other schools are similar to UMiami and Tulane? SMU? TCU? Others?</p>

<p>Most people would view Miami/Tulane over Smu and Tcu. Similar schools could include UT-Austin and Clemson.</p>

<p>I guess I meant in feel, community, types of students, lifestyle. UT and Clemson are large public schools. </p>

<p>Miami and Tulane are very popular with a large group who would never even consider smu or tcu, just for their middle initials.</p>

<p>@Chardo: I think that there are plenty of Christians who attend the []<em>[]. However, you’re probably right (i.e. many Jewish people from the NE gravitate to Miami) Why mask it? Other schools include Tufts, Syracuse, American, Boston University, Northeastern and NYU. For instance, I am a catholic girl from the mountain west (whose dad grew up in Short Hills, NJ and attended the []</em>[]) who was accepted into NYU, BC, and NEU, but am leaning towards the []_[].</p>

<p>Sure, any private school that is between 5000-10,000 total full time undergrad population, has a suburban feel to the campus (even if it resides in city limits) and is academically selective can be considered similar to Tulane to some greater or lesser extent. With those parameters I would take NYU and NEU off the list. They have a completely different campus feel than Tulane, which changes the lifestyle. WUSTL, Duke and Vandy are very similar to Tulane in all these ways, but they are more difficult to get into. Of course no two schools overlap perfectly, it really depends on what characteristics one is focusing on.</p>

<p>My son picked Miami over Tulane. He had academic scholarships to both universities so it would have cost about the same. He’s in engineering and Miami is much better in that area, plus his personal preference was Miami over New Orleans. I think they are both awesome universities.</p>

<p>My son is also torne between both schools…he got merit scholarships at both…Honors at Tulane…DaVinci at Miami…he wants to do premed…where program seems good at both…sister is at Tulane…that would be a plus… Btw. Thought that Jewish prevalence was less visible at Miami than Tulane… no idea what he will choose finally…it changes daily…well he has 18 more days…</p>

<p>@calmomofthree - No question that Jewish presence is more apparent at Tulane. That poster might have meant people in general, i.e. snowbirds, rather than just students. It is a bit ambiguous. But another big difference in the demographics of the students at each school is the percentage of Hispanics. Not surprisingly it is much larger at Miami. This probably doesn’t matter to many people, but it might to some.</p>

<p>Actually,FC, I personally preferred the ethnic diversity at Miami and so did my son…Tulane is fairly Caucasian…
On the other hand, at Tulane money was much more under understated…while.there were a lot of very well dressed girls at Miami…in that respect I preferred Tulane . well, you can’t have it all…nothing is perfect.</p>

<p>My D is also deciding between Tulane and Miami for architecture. We have been to both schools and she has an older sister at Tulane. During admitted students day at Miami she commented on the “designer” purses the girls wee carrying and sees differences between the girls at the two schools. Of course this is a generalization and the ones at Miami are not current students. Miaminis definitely more diverse with a strong Latin American influence My d likes both schools but thinks Tulane will be a better social fit and loves that her sister is there. However Miami gave her a much larger scholarship which is making it harder for her to decide. I also felt the Jewish prevalence was much less at Miami and was told the Hillel is not nearly as active as tulanes As a parent i am looking forward to the decision being made</p>

<p>I do understand that students today look for diversity on campus, and different kinds of diversity at that. Racial diversity is, of course , the most obvious and many come back saying Tulane seems, as you say, very Caucasian compared to similar schools. Well, you said fairly but most say very. When you look at the reported stats Tulane actually has a higher percentage of African-Americans most years than these schools, but these other schools often have a higher percentage of Hispanics, and almost always a higher percentage of Asians, so Tulane does almost always report the highest percentage of white students among that kind of peer group.</p>

<p>And I am not dismissing or trying to rationalize away the importance of this issue, but I would suggest that another way of looking at it is that because of Tulane’s high level of student involvement in the New Orleans community, the students do get exposed to and quite involved in minority issues and exposed to other viewpoints. Additionally, this involvement deals on the ground, in most cases, with the day-to-day lives of people in need as opposed to classroom and dorm room discussions. Again, I am not saying those discussions are not quite valuable. I think having those points of view based on experiences (in many cases, not all just because they are a minority) among the students is important. I am just saying that Tulane does provide a lot of diversity to the students, it just comes in a different form to some extent. Naturally, it would be nice if Tulane started attracting more Hispanic, Asian and other races and ethnic heritage and provided the service experience. But for now, I would argue that at Tulane these students are exposed to diversity, sometimes a very raw diversity (my D worked on a homelessness project, for example) that often goes beyond what can be learned in a campus setting.</p>