UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

No.

2 Likes

My daughter was admitted to LSA last year on January 28 and my husband is a high school counselor at a top 15 Umich feeder. A very limited number of kids are sometimes admitted early to specific programs like nursing and STAMPS. It is definitely an exception to be admitted before the day the bulk notifications go out.

6 Likes

You have my sympathies! My D22 was postponed from EA and then accepted in February to the COE last year. It was awful. I can’t imagine going through it two years in a row.

I think the fact that they don’t give a date for EA decision release just adds to the stress. My D22 basically had a weekly stress cycle that started ramping up every Tuesday and peaked on Friday … every single week in January. It was awful.

And like a lot of in state applicants, D22 wasn’t applying to a bunch of selective schools … UofM was it (with Michigan State as her -somewhat reluctant - backup plan). That certainly didn’t help the stress level.

2 Likes

It’s getting to be that time-- time to check in here in few days and see if there’s any news about decision dates. My D23 is OOS (CA), very high stats and qualifications but she’s knows the odds and is stressing out. Michigan is her #1 choice. She should hear from two other EA schools this month (Colorado and Wisconsin).

S23 (yes, twins) gets a break for awhile. One EA acceptance and one ED deferral in December. Now he won’t know more until March.

I guess I’ll get February off of mom stress. Ugh.

4 Likes

My summary of this thread so far:

-OOS: expect a deferral in late Jan. Extremely unlikely to get an admit. In fact, odds are your application won’t even be reviewed substantively for end of January EA deadline. Hang on tight til late March

-In State: much more likely to get a decision at EA reporting

4 Likes

Posters with experience and knowledge of UMich’s process have pointed out in several posts up-thread that this is untrue.

8 Likes

Which part costs the most time to review? Essay, EC, and letters. All others are digital.
Colleges should remove essay requirement, especially those why us, why major

3 Likes

I thought some OOS students who matriculated at U of M and pulled their application files said that very little review was done prior to Jan 31? I might have that wrong and in that case, i certainly stand corrected

I know many OOS students that got accepted EA in the last few years at least. But it’s hard to get admitted with 55,000 EA applications…

As stated upthread. Hold on till Mid April if you really want to go to Michigan. EA applicants become RD after the EA is over. Many get accepted in February also. This site is a microcosm of what is happening in the real world.

Beware of the reddit kids that say they got accepted early etc. If it really happened hundreds of students would be saying it not just like one dude. Happens every year…

Good Luck but it’s only Jan 10th… Look to the end of January for the release like January 27/28.

2 Likes

My OOS kid was admitted EA to Michigan in December 20, 2017. I’m assuming they reviewed her app at least somewhat before admitting her. :grinning:

I read some old thread here on CC, where it said that AO’s (not Michigan) may spend only about 10 +/- minutes with each app. So, if that’s true, then with a late-January release now, Michigan can review every app before making an accept, reject or deferral decision.

Remember, AI is pretty handy nowadays.

1 Like

Same - OOS D19 admitted EA Dec 2018. It was really helpful as we could jump onto Admitted Student events held in January & Feb when the weather is real for a CA kid.

2 Likes

D18 and I attended a “California Admitted Student Day” the 1st week of March 2018 and I remember it was snowing that evening as we were getting off the Michigan Flyer bus and walking to the hotel.

2 Likes

I think things have changed so much since the pandemic. Now, anyone deferred is basically RD immediately whereas before they could’ve been accepted before the RD deadline.

I hope they no longer hold rejections until the end of the process. “We liked you enough to tell you no on the last possible day giving you unrealistic hope,” isn’t as fun as it sounds. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Any applicant deferred from EA, whether back in the old days when EA releases were in December or now for the past few years in January, have been always been considered RD with the RD pool.

The RD deadline has been February 1st for a long time. I can’t remember anyone being admitted post EA release, but pre-RD releases. Maybe possibly one of the smaller schools, like Nursing, SMTD, Architecture, etc., but not LSA, CoE, Ross, Kinesiology, etc.

1 Like

Someone in my child’s class. :slight_smile: It was as if Michigan wanted proof that someone w that high of SAT actually wanted to attend. 99% sure accepted end of Jan. (This was ‘19-‘20.) This student ultimately didn’t attend.

2 Likes

While Michigan does reject applicants during EA, the past few years have been similar to prior years, where you will see more rejections in the March and April RD releases.

1 Like

March 2020 was the start of the pandemic. Friday 1/31/20 would likely have been the 1st RD release. Not EA.

1 Like

Yes. I know it was the pandemic. Trying to remember timing though of that child’s acceptance—if it was as late as 1-31. (The school identified it as EA on Naviance. By contrast, my child was rejected RD.)

2 Likes

:laughing: not due to weather, but D didn’t end up attending…is it true that it’s pretty much snowing from November through April?

Not really. I live in Chicago and weather is a day later in Michigan (or so it seems). We only have had 3.5 inches of snow and it’s just Jan 10th. Today and tomorrow it’s high to mid 40s. People walk around with a sweat shirt and many running in shorts. Lol. It was even Sunny today…

2 Likes