UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

I’m really curious on how the CS Advanced Selection will play out with Early Action. Will they send their decision of whenever or not you got accepted into CS alongside with your Early Action decision or will they release it later? What happens if you get postponed EA?

If I had to guess, they’d probably release CS Advanced Selections after RD comes out. It sucks that they’re not releasing much information (at least of what I could find) of how CS Advanced Selections will play out, but I suppose it’s still “early” and they want to finish admissions before they start deciding. I’m just speculating, though.

As someone who wants to major in CS, I have two admissions to worry about haha. Hopefully, it’s not too competitive, but who knows :grimacing:. January cannot end any sooner LOL.

1 Like

It’s the 1st year for this “CS advanced selection” process, so I/we can only speculate how it’ll play out.

I’d like to think the acceptances, both the “CS advanced selection” in EA (or RD) will be done simultaneously. As will the acceptance to the University and rejection to “CS advanced selection.”

1 Like

Yea… figured as much. Very annoying how non-transparent Michigan is with admissions.

Another question: When in advance would Michigan notify applicants about an EA decision release date?

1 Like

If we’re REALLY lucky, MAYBE the day of the release via Twitter and/or IG. But more often than not, Michigan just sends them out w/o any prior notice.

It’s one of the true failures as a university.

4 Likes

I think in '18, when my D applied, I found out the EA decisions were released by reading it here on CC!

7 Likes

Yikes. Not to mention the near 100% chance that I will get deferred and have to wait until March/April. With CS Advanced Selections, lowering admission rates, rising tuition (esp. for OOS), and the delayed admissions release time (iirc it used to be in December…), it looks like I applied at a rather unfortunate time. As the saying goes: the early bird gets the worm. Wondering how admissions will be 10 years from now.

3 Likes

I feel the same unfortunately.

Speaking of deferrals, I have a question about the continued interest forms. Does anyone know if there is more success when they are used for a second “why Michigan” mini-essay, or when they are used as a way to update admissions on accomplishments? Usually I see that LOCIs have a bit of both, but last year’s max word count was quite small.

2 Likes

Has anyone seen the USC applicant data their admission office posted today? Applications up 20% since last year, acceptances will be down a few hundred since yield was surprisingly high last year - so acceptance rate there will slip below 10% there at USC this year.

Common app said that applications systemwide across all colleges in their purview were up 20% this year…gonna be a very tough year indeed.

2 Likes

my kids keep asking me why I didn’t have them 5 years earlier— specifically b/c admissions was so much easier and better then.

9 Likes

Are we predicting Mich to release the 27th?

2 Likes

seems like a safe bet. But we are hoping for tomorrow.

8 Likes

wow tomorrow is on the table? hopefully

1 Like

Apparently some kids/parents asked their representatives and they said something along the lines of “not the first week nor the last week of January”. There is a possibility, but I wouldn’t hold your breath. A safe bet would be the last Friday of January, Jan 27th.

1 Like

Yes, child’s rep volunteered this information when meeting with the group of kids at their high school.

But, the Instagram really makes it sound like it’s next week.

What makes you say this? Can link specific posts?

The Instagram? I posted the info from it the other day. But, I’ll see if I can link the actual post: U-M Undergraduate Admissions on Instagram: "Looking to visit us in #AnnArbor? Sign-ups for campus tours from January through February are now available (link in bio). #GoBlue" (in the comments)

Well, the 27th does sound more like the “end of the month” than the 20th. To be honest though, I don’t think this baseless speculation on the release date is helping any anxiety :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Easier? Maybe. Less applications? Sure.

But back then, schools were still requiring SAT subject tests. And we had to figure out if two math/science subject tests (e.g., Math II, Physics, etc.) versus one math/science and one humanties (e.g., US History, Literature, etc.) would be best.

D18 took the Math II and Literature subject tests and planning for them around taking the SAT was a hassle.

4 Likes

But it helps the post count and we definitely want the Michigan forum to finish #1 again here on CC. :grinning:

4 Likes

yeah I remember. At least if you played the game you had a reasonable chance of admissions. Not so anymore. Too many non-merit factors.

7 Likes