UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

Just because something is written does not mean it’s true.

While the plural of anecdote is not data, as a data point of one, I was an OOS applicant who was accepted EA.

1 Like

Not true. I know several OOS that made it in the EA round last year.

2 Likes

Helpful both responses - thank you.

2 Likes

That’s not true (deferring by default).

4 Likes

Ah… it seems like the “magical portal signs” I mentioned way earlier have arrived… That along with previous Michigan EA releases I’d say there is a 99.9% chance they will release this Friday.

Even if I miraculously get in I still might not have the option of going due to the crazy high price for out of state :frowning: . I don’t qualify for need-based financial aid and the merit scholarships seem like they have lower than ivy-league acceptance rates so unless there’s another way lowering the price I’m gonna have to suck up most if not all the ~70k price tag and take on some debt if I really wanted to go. At that point, might as well go to another college that I like with great value LOL.

4 Likes

Are we allowed to show images here? This just showed up when trying to log in through Enrollment Connect.

6 Likes

Michigan admits to a school, such as LSA, CoE, Kinesiology, Nursing, SMTD, Architecture, etc., EXCEPT, if you’re applying to CS, then YES, this is Michigan’s 1st year of “advanced selection” to CS, both in LSA and CoE. But CS only.

2 Likes

Man why does it gotta be THIS year. Very unfortunate. :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

It’s been that way (last Friday of January) for the last two years. So, we’re making an assumption it’ll be the same for this year too.

Michigan accepts, postpones and rejects in the EA round.

2 Likes

I know many that got accepted EA. Also like half the freshman class or close is chosen in EA… So no but it does seem like everyone gets deferred.

3 Likes

Last year, Michigan received 84,000 apps, about 55,000 +/- of them during EA. Michigan will accept about 15,000 applicants overall, EA and RD. About 50% of them during EA.

So, if 8,000 (50%-ish) are accepted in EA of about 55,000 +/- apps, then a great majority of the EA applicants will be deferred to the RD round(s) in February, March and April.

4 Likes

Overwhelming demand. The CS department had been limiting CS classes to two (2) per semester per student for a few years now and demand has increased.

Tell me about it, LOL. When I went to a “Outstanding Student Ceremony” for my school literally half of the ~25 students that were there wanted to do Computer Science. Everyone wants to be a computer kid nowadays, it really has blown up in recent years

6 Likes

My gym is filled with 20-somethings in tech (Silicon Valley) and a few are working in “data science.”

There seems to be other ways to get into the CS realm, but I’m not a CS person. So I could be just be blowing hot air. :rofl:

1 Like

You’d be right. Like a lot of other disciplines/studies (like Math), there are a variety of areas to explore CS. Theoretical Computer Science, Operating System Development, Software Engineering, Game Development, Data Science, etc. It’s worth noting that the CS Advanced Selection is just for the major only (there are no restrictions for minoring it), and other computer-related studies like Data Science or Computer Engineering aren’t restricted as well.

5 Likes

Yes, and Linguistics is another way.

Many colleges now have Linguistics & CS majors which fall under the Linguistics department. UCLA, Illinois and BU to name a few.

3 Likes

How soon after the portal change did the results come out last year? It changed today for my daughter.

1 Like

Well society is telling them this is the only way to make money. My perspective may be skewed by living in the Bay Area. My DH and I are both computer scientists by training. None of our three kids are going into CS and I’m glad. They are smart accomplished students, but know that CS is not the right fit for them academically or career-wise. I don’t think it’s a good fit for many of the top students who want to go into CS either. You have be wired a certain way-- it’s not just about being smart. Colleges are trying to figure out which top students who apply are really wired that way.

7 Likes

Wdym by “wired that way”? You don’t have to be “special” to get into CS or to be good at it. It’s just like any other skill/profession/hobby, practice and effort make excellence. I’m willing to bet that people who “aren’t fit for CS” probably simply don’t like it. We can speculate for hours on this and we won’t get a remotely concrete answer until it comes out of an admissions officer’s mouth, but imo I’m willing to bet that what are the AOs are going to be looking for are just people who like CS and have previous experience in it.

6 Likes

Hi! Yes Umich does admit by school but you do not have to declare your major until the end of sophomore year.

2 Likes