UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

I have January 27 in my notes, but I think I got that from last year’s decision. So not official.

2 Likes

Same

Yep “late January” with finals date Feb 1st.

I would assume Friday, January 27, 2023, roughly 3:00PM EST, unless it’s not. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Child reported that rep said not first Friday and not last. So, we guess Jan. 20.

Does Michigan let OOS know these days, or is it still mostly a deferral process?

3 Likes

All guesses are welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

The past two years, as they switched EA decisions to January, during and post-pandemic, Michigan has released EA decisions on the last Friday of January.

But earlier is obviously WAY better and welcome. Just trying to set expectations low, so there will be potentially fewer disappointments. :slightly_smiling_face:

From memory, Michigan received something around 55,000-60,000 (+/-) EA apps (out of 84,000 total), so yes, most applicants are postponed. Both instate and OOS.

In the past Michigan has accepted roughly 50% of their acceptances (7,500-8,000 of 15,000-16,000) in EA, so lots and lots of postponements.

4 Likes

Does everyone who applied to LSA just get the email about STAMPS? My son got a “You’re all signed up, thanks for your interest, your next steps…” email, but he didn’t apply to STAMPS, he applied to BCN. Must have been a fluke.

Congrats being in Stamps… Lol… Call and ask. Michigan doesn’t make mistakes like this. Just confirm your son applied for the correct school within Michigan. Report back. Just curious.

Just checked and his application is definitely for LSA. Just wondering if maybe he accidentally checked a button for info on STAMPS.

He applied to LSA, and wants to major in BSN that is. Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience.

3 Likes

And actually I read it again and it doesn’t say he got into Stamps, it was a thank you for your interest, here are your next steps for your application. So I do think it was a button clicked somewhere to show interest, that’s all:)

Lol. Doesn’t hurt to check… Good luck to your son. It’s an awesome school.

1 Like

Thank you! It certainly is.

1 Like

Hey! What is your major and how has your experience been with classes, professors, etc?

My daughter was accepted last year on Friday, Jan. 28. Around 12 (Pacific). I think your guess for this year is spot on.

5 Likes

Not sure how I missed what you added but lots of interesting data here. Thanks for sharing Acceptance rate dropped last year. Yield improved. I had heard they were aiming for a smaller class but if I had to guess they got a higher yield than they expected. Of note there is an Increasing gap between number of men and women accepted with equal amounts applying over the 4 years . I’d love to know if their application stats differed.

@Sushiritto as a stats man, any thoughts

No guessing necessary. Yes, UMich was aiming for smaller class. As you see by the info contained in the link, UMich went back to accepting (2018-2019) just less than 15,000 apps, instead of 16,000-17,000 acceptances (2020-2021).

But instead of getting around an enrolled class of 6,700-6,800 last cycle, UMich got a class of 7,000, but still less than the prior year.

This seems to be the trend at many colleges. At UCLA, the F/M ratio even more dramatic, though there are a lot less males applyng to UCLA too. At UMich, it would appear a lot less male applicants met their admissions criteria, when compared to females.

Does anyone have any info on whether or not there is truth this story? (EA applicants who submit after mid-October will be almost guaranteed to be deferred because UMich can’t get through all the applications before the EA notification deadline):

1 Like

Definitely NOT true. My child was accepted EA last year despite submitting application on (or around) October 30th.

4 Likes