UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

@Knowsstuff posted this link already back on 1/27/23. Merit scholarships are available to OOS students, but very rarely is one given to an OOS student.

In all my years on this site, I may have heard of handful given to OOS students.

2 Likes

Pure merit appears to be uncommon.

If you look at the Common Data set for 2021-2022, 885 full time first year freshman students had non-need based merit or grant awards from the university and the average award was $4,480.

It doesn’t break the total down by in-state, out of state, etc. I’m guessing that there are a few substantial awards and a lot of small ones.

I know several in state kids who were awarded one time $1,500 Regents awards.

1 Like

did anyone get into coE ea?

My D did.

A search on the term “coe” will show that there were many acceptances to the CoE EA.

1 Like

Without thinking of affordability, my son (OOS) applied to UM and was deferred. I am suggesting to him to withdraw his application. He has other good options which will be affordable for us.

9 Likes

Hey guys! I just wanted to hop on here since I was class of 2022 and practically lived on this thread last year (deferred → waitlisted). I was SO devastated when I didn’t get in and thought my life was over and hated the school I commit to.

Today I got accepted to UMich as a sophomore transfer and I actually love the other school I’m at so much that I don’t even know if I’ll go. Go figure that I got accepted now lmao

Anyways, just know that there’s more than one path to UM and that everything will work out. I thought that was BS when people told me that but I truly mean it and don’t panic if next month doesn’t go the way you hoped!

Good luck y’all :heart_hands:

28 Likes

Hi there… Congrats on your accomplishments. Your message is really important and we try to tell families this. Most students when they finally land, love the schools that they end up at.

2 Likes

How good is Net Price Calc? I get EFC + 13K with NPC. Can we expect same in the scholarship/aid?

1 Like

UMich is the most expensive OOS public school - has been for a long time. My husband went there and even when he went he said tuition was very expensive OOS.

Umich is also twice the size of Ga Tech.

I mean to ask if net price calculator reflects what we can expect from financial aid decision?

1 Like

Michigan’s is supposed to be pretty accurate BUT every situation is different especially if you own business etc. Always better and encouraged to work with the schools resources to get real numbers.

2 Likes

Okay so D23 received an email with a message encouraging exploration of various aid options and a link to FA at the bottom. After logging in I’m not sure this is final aid offer or just preparation of the site but it notes 0$ FA. Any one else accepted EA, oos get this email? or have interpertation/experience with this?

It’s a broadcast for all admitted ones. FA decisions are made from early March to end of March.
The FA office specifically said if your student is not awarded in early March, it’s not final and there will be one more round of FA decisions by end of March. Basically, set April 1st as date to decide.

Phew! Thank you for that clarity, either way it’s good to know.

Does anyone know how soon a student apply for the Minor in Business at Ross? I think UMich web site said junior year. Also, when can a student actually start taking Ross business courses (freshman or sophomore year if prerequisites are done, for example)? Daughter accepted LSA and waiting to hear on Ross business school acceptance. If not accepted, may do LSA with Minor in Business. Understand student must apply for the minor. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into the Minor in Business?

She would apply in spring of her sophomore year. Less than 40% who apply are accepted on average.

3 Likes

Looks like financial aid information showing up in Wolverine access

son got same email OOS. Also $0 FA. no experience. seems like there are options to apply for some merit opportunities (as interpreted by son) but also interpreted that loans are more likely the options its referring to. the net calculator said expect $0 aid so FWIW

1 Like