UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

Just a Michigan sports interlude…

1 Like

Any EA accepted families do the Admitted students day? If so, is it a full day for parents too?

Hi - we did it last year. Myself, DS who was admitted and we brought my younger son and scheduled a campus tour for him (hes a senior this year). It was a full day (and a cold one!). We split up at lunch (only the accepted students had lunch together), but we were with him for all of the other events during the day. Hope this helps!

1 Like

We are from San Diego. My daughter was accepted EA to the Stamps School of Art & Design. We are headed to Campus Day this Saturday! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

My daughter was admitted to Stamps as well! We did the Campus Day on March 10 and really enjoyed it. After a general info session they broke up the students/parents into smaller campus tour groups, and our group was only Stamps students. The afternoon included lunch at a dining hall on the North campus where the Stamps is located, and a detailed tour of the Stamps building/program.

Enjoy your visit!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

Hi JulieKM,

Congrats to your daughter! What did she think? Is she planning on attending and are you from out of state?

Hi! Congrats to yours as well! Mine really liked it! We are from Maryland and she currently attends an art magnet high school, so she is looking for a program that will challenge her to improve her skills even more than the amazing opportunities she had over the last four years. We loved the vibrancy of Ann Arbor and spent time having dinner and hanging out there after the tour to get a real feel for what it would be like to live there. The whole area felt very safe. All the coffee shops and stores were bustling with students who were talking and working on their computers and just enjoy their afternoon - so much so that we had to visit five coffee shops before we could find a table!

I would say that Stamps was at the top of her list after our visit - and then UCLA accepted her this weekend. Now she has some thinking to do! We are doing Bruin Day on April 15, which will be her first visit there. Since you are from San Diego, I’m assuming your artist applied to UCLA as well? What is your impression of that art department/campus? It’s killing me because my daughter got a huge scholarship from our in state university, but their art department is not as strong as UMich and UCLA. I wish there was an option of swapping scholarships to use at other public universities!

Love hearing how much she enjoyed the school and the visit! We are looking forward to this weekend. Unfortunately my daughter was denied at UCLA but I take this as a blessing because her heart is more set on USC if she ends up staying in California. We will hear from them this week :pray:t3: :heart:
We have heard more about UMich’s program vs UCLA and UM seems to be a better fit for her. In all honesty, we researched USC and Michigan more so I can’t offer you much of an opinion on UCLA. I know all 3 art programs are top notch though. Congrats to your daughter for her acceptance! That’s amazing! I hope you enjoy your visit to Cali! :heart:

1 Like

Thanks for that feedback! We are also waiting on USC decisions on Friday … but it would have to come with a compelling scholarship to make it work for us versus a UM or UCLA.

You have a very big weekend coming up! Fingers crossed for Friday, and enjoy your visit to UM! Let us know what you think!

Thank you so much! Fingers crossed for both of our girls for great news from USC! :pray:t3: :pray:t3: :heart: :heart:

Have fun! My wife and daughter will be there, too (but for LSA, not Stamps). Hope the weather isn’t a bummer for the two of you - Ann Arbor’s climate is similar to San Diego’s from about May 15 - June 30 and again in September through early October, but late March is…not exactly 75 and blue sky daily. Forecast looks like rain Saturday (of course, it’s 50 and sunny today). Sunday looks better right now, though, so hopefully you can get a little sunshine before heading to the airport.

Just keep in mind that getting 4 seasons would be different for your daughter, but a worthwhile experience. No equivalent at USC to snowman making on the Diag or Fall leaf season walks along the Huron.

2 Likes

When D18 and I went to “California Admitted Student Day” back in early March 2018, the weather was 28 degrees and snowing. :cold_face:

1 Like

Hi there and thank you SO much for the kind reply! It will definitely be quite a climate shock for both of us as San Diego natives. But we are really looking forward to seeing the beautiful campus and hearing all about the amazing program and all UMich has to offer my daughter! Best of luck to your daughter and I hope she finds the school that sits well in her heart! We will be making our decision after we return from Michigan :pray:t3: :heart:

1 Like

I just want to add that Michigan felt like a winter day in Tahoe, without the sun. :slightly_smiling_face:

But the vibe or energy on campus is/was electric to us. The mental attitude or feeling of the people in and around campus was one of “It’s great, to be, a Michigan Wolverine.”

3 Likes

Our daughter is a frosh at Stamps, living in Alice Lloyd. We OOS from NJ. Any questions about Stamps, let me know. We travel to CA often as we have relatives in LA, and our oldest is a junior at UCSB.

1 Like

Thank you so much! We greatly appreciate your offer to answer any Stamps questions! Thank is very kind of you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Kabby, I love your thought into how you calculated the odds at Ross: “Yes, it’s a matter calculating odds … if Ross accepts 860/8680, that’s a 10% acceptance rate. But say half the 8680 applicants are admitted to Michigan, then only 4340 are in contention for the 860 slots so the acceptance rate becomes 20% for Ross when already accepted to Michigan. If perchance Michigan’s overall acceptance rate of 22% is applied to the 8680 applicant pool, then only 1910 students are being considered for Ross and each has a 45% (860/1910) shot at being accepted.”
However, I think there is a flaw when you apply the 22% acceptance rate to the Ross applicants. The Ross applicants generally have higher stats than the “average” Michigan applicant, so I would expect a much higher number and percentage of acceptances to LSA than the general pool of applicants that probably includes at least 10-15% of applicants who aren’t qualified/really don’t have a chance, but just want to try on the off chance they may have “just the right” essay reader!
I would expect the Ross applicants to have somewhere around a 40% acceptance rate compared to the general pool.
This would also be like comparing LSA and engineering. The engineering applicants have much higher stats. And this makes sense statistically since LSA is HUGE compared to Ross and engineering.
(I state the above as a proud LSA grad ‘93!)

1 Like

Students who start in January do NOT lose the opportunity to be involved in Greek life.
Sorority recruitment happens in January of the freshman year, September of soph year, or January of soph year. Fraternity recruitment happens every semester.
My daughter rushed January of her sophomore year and has lived her experience!

This isn’t totally accurate. For sororities, primary recruitment happens in Michigan’s winter semester that starts in January. Students who start in January can’t rush in January. They must have completed at least 12 post-secondary credits (meaning AP or DE credits won’t count). In theory, a student could get a COB (continuous open bid) in the fall of their second semester, but for most January starts, they wouldn’t rush a sorority until their 3rd semester.

The same timeline should hold true for fraternities because the have the same 12 credit and winter rush rules, but fraternities seem to bend the rules more. They have a lot more unofficially official events in the fall, so a male who starts in January might be able to get involved a bit sooner.

That said, you are correct that it’s common for sophomores to rush and a later start doesn’t preclude getting involved in Greek life.

1 Like