UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

So, do you think that in state postponements are just soft rejections and OOS were actual postponements? Because that’s sort of what I’m hearing … and I have a terrible sinking feeling about D22.

There were a lot of EA acceptances at our in state school - about the same number of total acceptances we normally get, but that usually includes several deferred applicants who get in RD. We are not a feeder and all accepted had test scores, but they were almost universally in the bottom 25. My D22 did three live admission events with Michigan and it was pretty clear they wanted scores, so I definitely agree with you about submitting scores from an in state perspective - we had plenty of testing options.

1 Like

That is exactly what happened for my daughter with another school. It was a match school based on her stats and profile, and as confirmed by her GC based on past data.

My daughter was really surprised, and then upset with their deferral and the college has now moved from being one she would have been happy to go to, to almost off her list.

5 Likes

@Amom2022 I feel you. Daughter is in-state at a great private school but not a feeder. Commended scholar, so many aps, 3.9 uw, forensics state finalist. Attended MMSS 2 years and excellent essays. Postponed. We are stunned.

Definitely in that boat!

Yep, sounds like my daughter as well. But also she’s getting panicked because of all the deferrals. She applied to 4 more schools this weekend because she’s panicking and honestly I don’t blame her. I realize we are now contributing to the problem, but she doesn’t know if deferral means they just didn’t get to it or if they are just postponing the rejection. I feel for the admissions offices, I really do, but gosh this is hard on these kids.

5 Likes

unfortunately, there are some whose ability to take the test remained impacted by closures and covid. I know more than a handful of applicants for whom this is true. . . and while applicants are invited to explain that on the application, there is still a sense of “making excuses” and not wanting to do that on the application. it is a tough situation b/c there is still an assumption that not submitting a test automatically means the score was not strong, rather than the score was non-existent. I don’t envy the AOs job and have no solution, just another data point in your discussion.

2 Likes

It’s hard to say without benefit of the EA breakdown of OOS vs in-state admissions last Friday. If there was a greater amount of in-state admitted like it appears, it stands to reason you will see some more OOS in subsequent releases.

The latest numbers I saw for the study body breakdown of in-state vs OOS at UM was a 60/40 split respectively. Ultimately I would think this in-coming class will reflect something close to that as well.

DC was accepted EA (Ross candidate so settling in for the long haul).

No hooks, very average ECs.
4.0UW, 4 APs (5s), 1560 (taken once Dec 2020).

Also in EA at CWRU and NEU with merit $.
In at IU Kelley and Bing.
Rejected ED1 CMU Tepper.

Waiting for USC, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, Wharton.

From a nyc competitive public.
I’ll add to the test discussion here - I think Michigan looked at test scores and did not necessarily take kids with 1560+, remarkable ECs because maybe - yield protection?

We are hoping gender (it’s dd) gives dc a little boost as I read somewhere that Ross is 60-40 M/F. Any color on this?

2 Likes

One thing to also consider is the ability to send in AP scores. Those tests took place for nationally both in spring 2020 and 2021 and were accessible either remotely or in-person. In other words, if you took an AP class, you generally had the ability to take those tests, irrespective of COVID.

As I mentioned up thread, my roster of students who provided either competitive SAT/ACT’s or a 4 or 5 on their various AP scores were admitted last Friday. If you genuinely could not sit for a test bc of restrictions UM would view that as an explanation, not an excuse.

But I suspect there is also a collection of students (including some of my own clients) who just didn’t like their first or second score, decided to no longer take it, and took the TO route. That, unfortunately, is what schools like UM can sniff out and I think it is a strike against your application.

That’s why UM uses the term “test flexible” and not “optional.” There are a couple different ways to demonstrate standardized test performance and most times from my experience, UM a wants to see evidence or an explanation somewhere on your application.

3 Likes

makes sense. I think each school is trying to figure out how best to handle testing. APs in lieu of SAT/ACT does make some sense. school counselors offer conflicting advice for whether or not to explain lack of testing on the application, so it is interesting to hear different perspectives.
one thing I do think is a bit misleading is that we all sat through many college sessions from MANY different schools where the AO made the point (more than once) that “not submitting test scores will not be held against an applicant”. and while I do think they genuinely try to mean that, it is not clear that all of the schools actually follow that in practice.
again, I really do think AOs are doing their best under crushing application numbers. high number of postpones and deferrals at many top schools all makes so much sense given numbers, timing etc.
Good luck to everyone out there!

1 Like

According to #'s released in March 2021 by Michigan, enrollment for the entire university in terms of undergraduates only is:

Year 2010/Year 2020
In-state 65%/53%
OOS 28%/39%
International 6%/7%

Have you heard that Michigan is attempting to reverse the trend with this Class (2026)?

1 Like

Conventional wisdom is that CoE is a more difficult admit. And it has been in the past. CoE has about 1,400 +/- seats in the freshman class versus 4,400 +/-seats for LSA. However, without knowing how many applicants are applying to each school this cycle, the current admit rate is unknown.

But for the Fall of 2020, CoE admit rate was 24% and the overall admit rate was 26% for the entire university. Of course, both those figures went down for the Fall of 2021 (overall admit rate was 20%), but we don’t have a breakdown yet.

Point being, more and more applicants are applying for CoE, because that’s the “hot ticket” now. And probably why Michigan has instituted a 2-course maximum per semester restriction on CS courses. So, will CoE remain more difficult admit in the future? Dunno.

During the Fall 2020 cycle, there literally was few, if any, in-state admittances in the RD waves here on CC. And IIRC, zero in-state were admitted from the waitlist here on CC. Of course, CC is a very small sample.

But typically, with an in-state yield of around 70%, there are plenty of in-state admittances from the RD waves. So, normally, a deferral of in-state applicant is not a “soft rejection.”

The only major dynamic that has changed is the EA release date was pushed back from pre-Xmas to the infamous “end of January.”

1 Like

My friend’s son from NJ public school with a 1580 SAT got in. 2 kids from my daughter’s private school with test optional also got but many got deferred including my daughter. So I’m not really sure how they are picking.

There are typically 16,000 total acceptances in order to enroll 7,000 freshman students, in round numbers. Pre-pandemic, Michigan would accept between 7,500-8,000 during the EA process. The other half of acceptances came from the RD waves.

Whether or not EA acceptances yields 3,600 enrollees is just a guess, mainly because we don’t know if Michigan accepts more, less or the same amount during EA, now that the EA release is a month later than past years. And we don’t know the yield of the EA acceptances. Overall yield was 46% last year.

I have not heard this trend is reversing. I have heard discussion that schools trended toward admitting their in-staters for EA over the OOS kids more significantly this year. You have to believe it’s based on some research that kids/families are choosing a spot closer to home since the pandemic. But that’s just an informed guess on my part.

1 Like

Here in CA, the UC’s are, in a sense, “reversing.”

The State of CA budgeted more money to the UC’s in order to lower the OOS enrollment caps and enroll more in-stater’s. But we have an increasing # of applicants here. I thought Michigan in-state apps have flatlined and are actually trending down.

1 Like

Wow. I’m sorry. Your daughter sounds like an incredible candidate.

Here is the link to Engineering Honors.

https://honors.engin.umich.edu/about-honors/

Also, there is EGL Honors, which my child is doing and loves it.

https://honors.engin.umich.edu/egl/

Similar. It went from “school with a good reputation, I haven’t been able to visit due to pandemic, but if admitted we’ll need to visit and see, unless I get into my top two” to “I prefer somewhere I’ve already been accepted, so don’t know if I’ll bother filling out the form”. Tbh, I doubt it was going to be an option unless it was only UM and her 4 safety/lower match schools.

1 Like