UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

They want to let the ED2’s and LOCI’s come in to verify who is still truly interested in attending. they have to manage yield as well.

1 Like

UMich doesn’t have ED2. Are you referring to some other college?

Poster is referring to those Michigan applicants that have ED2 apps in elsewhere. And cleared out by the 1st Michigan RD wave, assuming there is one.

1 Like

Ah, ok! I get it now. Thanks @sushiritto

1 Like

In recent years, at least, Michigan has always had a lot of deferrals. That’s not new news.

But what I find interesting and disappointing is, even with the now later “end of January” EA release, versus the old pre-Xmas EA release, at the school @Iamw1lly refers to, acceptances have gone from an average of 8-10 down to 1. 1 admit and 39 deferrals seems crazy to me.

Intuitively, the acceptances should remain the same or go up, since the ED population would have pulled their Michigan apps by 1/28, as was the case this year, with Michigan’s EA release. Did something change with the school’s profile, from Michigan’s POV? Dunno.

1 Like

Same here. My S does not even want to send in the LOCI, it is more or less off the list.

1 Like

Same here. Kids got tired after so many essays. They even said on the portal all of those are optional. We’ll probably just send midyear grades. With so many deferrals and RD applications, not sure if they’ll have time to read the intent letter.

Generally speaking this is way above my paygrade, but from what I understand, we are somewhat the opposite with the state funding here in Michigan. For UM’s general funding budget, about 13 percent of it comes from the state. Traditionally UM has relied less on government funding (and more on private funding, grants and research) than other universities in the state, including MSU. I have always heard this as one of the justifications for why UM feels less compelled to admit from in-state as other state schools. Also while Michigan is good to their in-state kids they are not “as good” to them as other highly-selectives like a UNC, UT-austin or a Virginia, something that frustrates the in-staters here.

Gov. Whitmer gave public universities here a one-time 5 percent bump in funding this year, but there was some movement in the Senate to re-allocate funding next year out of research institutions like UM and redistribute to other publics here. That would cost UM to lose about $40mil of its state funding.

Long story long: historically UM has not been incentivized to take more in-state kids like its sounds as such in Cali, Texas, NC, Va, etc…unless you count the one-time bump this year as incentive.

Michigan class’s are typically 51 instate and 49%Out of state. It’s listed somewhere maybe the cds

1 Like

During the past couple of years at my D’s school, there were typically 4-5 EA acceptances (in addition to a lot of deferrals). This year, just one acceptance - and everyone else got postponed.
So it definitely feels different this year.

It ebbs and flows a bit, depending on where you are looking, counting Dearborn and Flint campuses, undergrad and grad, etc…Here in the state, we are usually told its a 60-40 split, probably to make tax payers and parents happy :rofl:

1 Like

I should of read the whole thread before answering. I thought the instate /out of state was closer. I stand corrected. Thx

The 2020-2021 CDS states that OOS first year-first-time freshman is 45%.

Edited to add: But overall OOS undergraduate population is 39% per the same CDS.

2 Likes

Same here. My D will send mid year grades but that’s it. She is so done with writing anything more.

My daughter was accepted at Davidson College (among other good options) and will go there. If UMich had come back with an acceptance rather than a deferral, she would have been investigating further. However, she will now withdraw her UMich application. So, yes, many highly qualified postponed kids will instead commit at schools who have accepted them outright.

6 Likes

NY DS deferred 35 ACT

To all reading. This year’s deferrals from just about every school seems to be up this year. People on different school threads are telling me this looks like the worst year with early deferrals… It’s not just you. Who really see knows why? Essays? Teacher recommendations? Having or not having a score sent? You are pretty much compared til your school/district. Someone with lessor grades, scores, ecs always gets in. So what are they looking for. Something in the holistic review spoke to the reviewers and committee about each applicant. I am sure this is a difficult decisions with so many great students.

Jeff Selingo book explains the process. I have read the books since I got it from something on CC… :books::open_book::grin:

The process might make you more uncomfortable?

2 Likes

Well, yes - it’s a holistic process, and has been so for decades at most schools.
But the observed fact that deferrals are a lot higher this year at a lot of schools I think is indicative of some change in how colleges are evaluating applicants this year vs simply being an outcome of a holistic review process.
In other words, I find it hard to believe that the higher #deferrals this year are because collectively - across multiple schools - far more applicants this year vs prior years are sending poorer essays, worse LORs, not demonstrating interest, etc.

4 Likes

Has anyone heard of anyone who was rejected EA? Or did they just defer everyone

We’ve plowed this territory several times before. :smile: Yes, there are EA rejections, but none were posted here. Rejections are rarely, if ever, posted on this forum.

2 Likes