UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

My son was able to see when the grades were added on his Common App/ UMich page.

Interesting info on a School of Kinesiology zoom yesterday : they will be offering winter start for Sport management and Possibly movements science to waitlisted students
A cohort of about 50 in each program . Those winter start students then attend during spring/summer term to join their classmates as sophomores in the fall .

5 Likes

Early April is so late

Thanks for this information. I spoke with a mom who has a son who just started in the SM immersion program. Did they say anything else about when this would be offered or whether they filled all of the SM spots for Fall of 22?

Thank you! I will have my daughter check this afternoon!

My D called last year, they confirmed.

1 Like

@helloneumn if you are talking about Deca, I suggest having your Deca advisor email the AO directly. May not help for Ross, but could help for LSA and then Econ major.

1 Like

@UMich23Mom wow last year they had at least two waves before the final wave. I know they were small and the first was a so called legacy wave, but every other year as you probably know they have had several mini waves. The only reason they may have changed it is bc the class of 2025 is the largest class ever and they want to manage the class size, but as another parent mentioned it’s very close to decision day.

1 Like

@westchesterdad22 That’s a very good question. I can comment on my current LSA D’s experience from last year. She was accepted LSA in the second wave and then waitlisted Ross, not rejected until May or June, so already enrolled UMich. So maybe LSA said she had potential, but would do well with an LSA major. Many of her friends are Ross rejects and current LSA majors. On another note, the best thing for my D is she is now taking an Information class and loves it. The School of Information is something she probably would never have explored if she was a Ross student.

1 Like

Thx. We actually have a few family UM alums who have discouraged her from Ross. Not because it isn’t an amazing school, but because they believe for her it might be limiting. Their words- you can do anything you want within LSA and with any degree you have from there. With Ross, you’re in a phenomenal position in a somewhat limited direction. Intrinsically, they’re 100% right. There are some schools (I guess you could use Kelley/Indiana as an example) where there is a fairly large perceptional difference between the B school and the arts and sciences portion, but with UM you have world class on both sides. But
try telling that to a 17 yr old girl in the midst of application season!

With her, I think it’s the climate. She’s in UNC and would probably opt for that over UM because of geographical reasons, but if she were to gain acceptance into Ross it would change things.

3 Likes

you can see it in the common app - Michigan application - under Ferpa and Recommendations (or something like that)!

1 Like

School of Information to me is the hidden gem at Michigan. It’s expanding and I got to meet some of their students like 3/4 years ago. They all seem to love what they were doing. Nice options within the school.

3 Likes

Did anyone receive an email asking you to set up an Uniqname after getting postponed? I got one this morning and was very confused

https://www.si.umich.edu/about-umsi/news/umsi-engineering-getting-new-space-north-campus

Good to know. I am pushing DD22 to consider LSA if Ross doesn’t happen. She insists that she would pick northeastern over Umich in that case.

Every student is different. My D just wanted Michigan. She only applied to 3 colleges and the other two were in-state. So she put her eggs in one basket!

2 Likes

When you’re on the LSA waitlist does the college bother checking final semester grades to figure out who to pick?

1 Like

My son was able to verify on common app that Michigan downloaded his mid-year report.

2 Likes

Yes
if you were accepted to Flint or Dearborn you would get this.

Each student is different but I would definitely encourage your daughter to do Michigan LSA vs. Northeastern.

As @Knowsstuff has pointed out several times, lots of kids get into the business field without going through Ross. Having attended a top graduate business school and then recruited employees on the other side of it, I am a big fan of a liberal arts education. The majority of my most successful classmates and peers did not have undergraduate business degrees.

3 Likes