UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Thank you. I appreciate the support. It has been a loooong road (for all of us, I’m sure). I’m proud to be here and am so impressed with the others. UM will undoubtedly get great students.

4 Likes

Well Said @tgieske.

Remember that just like UMichigan has had to deal with the pandemic, students graduating in 2022 have spent the last half of their sophomore, all of their junior year and up til now of their senior year dealing with the pandemic as well. They have not had a normal high school experience and it seems like you think of them as mostly spoiled brats and their parents even worse. Our kids (and to some extent their parents) have worked hard, given up a lot because of covid, and are just expressing their feelings here on this safe place. Let them talk.

11 Likes

Congratulations - that’s awesome and such a relief to have options.

My point/my opinion, is not to treat the process as indicative of whether Michigan “wants” you - it’s just their process. Michigan has never represented that you will know sooner than early April, so I don’t see it as treating you luke warm. It’s just how Michigan does this.

If you feel that you will get zero assistance as a student at U of M, and that you will get more from other schools, that feeling should inform your decision as to where to head next fall. And that’s great that you have this opportunity to flush out your concerns and what you are looking for as you embark on the next 4 years.

My “entitled” comment was not directed to everyone’s experience - it was directed at some of the comments on this thread. Why internalize it when I am not directing anything toward you? Why internalize Michigan’s “treatment” of you as lukewarm when they have not promised anything to date?

Generalization: EVERY STUDENT on this thread, and every parent of every student applying to Michigan has worked unbelievably HARD. That is one commonality we all share. But people who work hard think they are entitled to more than what the process can offer. Why is that? Just let that thought sit for a bit.

2 Likes

I totally agree - they can talk, they can vent, they can express their frustration. I am a parent of a student who has lived through it just as yours has. I never said spoiled brat. I just think there is an entitlement to more than the process can offer.

1 Like

I am not calling everyone on here elitist. Go back through the thread - see how many parents talk about how their son or daughter attends an “elite” school. Those are the comments to which I refer. My daughter went to a not elite public school. Does that matter? What’s the insinuation that a student from an elite school should get better treatment?

7 Likes

I might have missed where someone said that they (or their kid) should get a better treatment because they’re from an “elite” school. I don’t recall reading that.
But regardless - no, they should not expect better treatment than any other applicant.

1 Like

Congratulations on your acceptances! Here is what I would advise you to do, and please know I am not a college counselor, just a parent. Don’t base your decision to attend or not attend a school on this admission process. Really look at the school and the major in which you are interested. If Michigan offeres the best program in that field, don’t dismiss it because of an initial deferral. Amazing students are deferred all the time. Is it yield, is it sheer numbers? Who knows. I know from my kids that it is nice to know where you are going to you can start building relationships and make plans. You are in a great position where you have 5 acceptances already and you can dive deep into the programs, and you can talk to students who go there. Do the same for the schools that are high on your list but from whom you are still expecting an answer. You will know what to do and what feels right in a couple of months. Good luck!

4 Likes

I see more UMich gear around 10021 and environs than any other school by a mile. I’m guessing you see the same across the park :grin: Hence we can unscientifically conclude that Ann Arbor is overrun with upper-middle-class Noo Yawkahs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I had some email exchanges with my daughter’s counselor who seems to be surprised by D’s EA deferral but she does not seem to have any clues. Our school is also one of the feeder schools in the state.

Yes, overrun with the Canada goose coats and whatever else our young ones desire. Not limited to Ann Arbor, or even New Yorkers. Friends report that their child was invited to a Vail ski house 1st winter break at Wisco.

Meanwhile, 10028ers/10128ers would take an Elon/Wake Forest over a Michigan any day.

1 Like

I think it’s all in one’s perception and also, Michigan ranks high schools.

I find it helpful that someone says their kid goes to elite private.

In today’s climate, everything else being equal, a candidate from a non selective, non UMC public school is a smidge more desirable than a non diverse graduate of an elite private school. Which is as it should be.

Merely stating the type of high school is good for background filler and not a statement of entitlement (in my opinion only).

4 Likes

Can you explain what you mean by this? (I’m 10023 like you).

There is definitely a bias for small private undergraduate focused colleges in the UES 10028/10128 private school set.

1 Like

Michigan DID represent (for kids who applied EA) that they would get a decision by the end of January. For the vast majority of kids who applied EA, that was not the case. Why?

Many are speculating (and I agree) that it’s related to yield. Many have commented that now waiting until early April will negatively impact that yield. I agree with that too. So, it’s the cobmination of those 2 things which has people confused/frustrated. If you care about yield, then act that way consistently. If you don’t care about yield, then just “stick to your word” and issue decisions for EA kids when you said you would.

3 Likes

Why do people get mad? They just do. :rofl: And I didn’t say anything about Michigan doing wrong. People may get mad. And applicants may be lost. That’s all.

This thread began with someone calling admissions and admissions telling the caller that all decisions will be released at one time in “early April” and there will be “no other waves.” So that’s the context in which I’ve responded. “Early April” can mean many things, of course.

So, let’s take the UC’s for example, the UC app was due 11/30, not 11/1, and where a Michigan EA applicant expects an early decision with their earlier submission. There’s no EA at the UC’s and Regents and Chancellors scholarship recipients will be receiving their decisions mid-February-ish. UC’s have no deferrals or postponements. And then Michigan will probably waitlist 10,000-20,000 after their final decision, whenever that may be.

Also, the Ivy’s are different as well. I’m not that familiar with them, but some do have SCEA, REA, ED, RD, etc. Too many dates there. :smile:

It’s different IMO. If Michigan does release in “early April,” I can’t wait to hear those posts about friends posting their decisions with their college gear on and the Michigan still hasn’t released their RD decisions. :rofl:

BTW, when does Michigan State release their decisions? Michigan is competing for in-state applicants too. It’s not all about OOS. :wink:

My son appears to be in the same position that you are in with UT and TAMU along with other opportunities. And with the way housing contracts and other factors work at some of those other schools, you both will not necessarily have the luxury of waiting until early April much less May 1 to make a decision without potentially closing the door on other opportunities or at the very least jeopardizing your chance of guaranteed housing. For my son, Michigan would have been a strong contender if a decision didn’t take until early April to arrive (he also applied EA).

Good luck on the rest of your search!

1 Like

In contrast, the UMC specialized high school and selective HS public school students from NYC seem to prefer Michigan and Wisconsin.

Yes. Bronx Science had 56 going one year! And likely more if they could afford it.

Anecdotally, a private school parent told me their school would not support an EA Michigan application if the kid also did ED.

1 Like

My D has spent many a weekend and summer weeks at primary and vacation homes in VERY snazzy places in the State of Michigan. I’m not going to call out those fancy schmancy areas of Michigan, but I’ve seen the pics on both sides of the state. :smile:

But I do have to say Michigan is trying to build momentum in their 1st Gen population and with the Go Blue Guarantee.

2 Likes