UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

My daughter applied EA to Michigan State as well. Was accepted in November, accepted to Honors College in January and has received $28K/year in scholarships which makes MSU an attractive option for us as her parents. She is OOS, recognizes that UM is a better school in rankings, and she will wait until she hears from them, but that idea of feeling ‘wanted’ is definitely there. She is from a small public/DE HS in Nashville that has never had anyone apply to UMich so reading that UMich has high schools ranked is a little bit surprising. But she is our only child late in life and when my husband and I went to school it was a bit different!!! My husband is a proud Michigan Tech grad. He grew up in Michigan and my daughter has spent many happy vacations in Michigan at her grandparents which is why she wants to go to school in Michigan. So if she ends up at MSU I will be okay with that (and I think she will too!) she could always go to UMich for grad school).

5 Likes

I gotta tell my kid to join the right sororities and live in the bougie dorms. Maybe buy her a few knockoff Hermes bangles and lululemon leggings.

2 Likes

Or maybe the UGA fans knew the dogs would trounce Michigan and they were saving themselves for the National Championship game. :wink: But, I won’t deny, Michigan has an amazing alumni base.

My D belongs to a sorority. After 4 years, my advice, don’t join, especially since rush is now 2nd semester. Not enough bang for the buck and too many dumbaxx rules. IMO.

1 Like

My very nerdy child has expressed an interest in Greek life. We have to be supportive.

1 Like

nor us. Especially if 22 gets into Ross. What all do respect, for all of us states when full price versus T 20 school for price, Michigan becomes fairly quotes and expensive

Sorry. Cut off too soon. Meant to say Michigan begins to look relatively ^affordable^. Especially if there’s merit aid. And over the course of four years, Michigan always has the opportunity for merit aid. Versus T20 schools which do not. Also, when you look at what the graduates make for Michigan versus T20 schools, the starting salaries for Michigan are right there. So it really does become a choice in a matter of “find your fit”

2 Likes

And don’t forget, when comparing to T20’s, Michigan has a lot of programs, which are in the Top 10.

Everyone knows about CoE, Ross, Nursing, Kinesiology, but as mentioned earlier, my D in LSA took a few classes in the School of Social Work and that program is #1 in the US. Who knew? Not me. But besides “fit,” we looked at individual programs when hunting for a college.

Does anyone have an idea of what the acceptance rate is for admitted Early Action LSA students for Ross?
Also does the three release dates (2/18, 3/18, 4/15) have anything to do with accepted/denied/waitlisted, for instance everyone who receives in 2/18 is accepted. 3/18 mix of accepted and waitlists, and 4/15 a mix of waitlists and rejects.

Yes. Let Michigan’s avg family income is something like $165,000.

Also on this thread and on CC in general families seem to come from more affluence but this is just a microcosm of real life. Students tend to have higher GPA, stats etc on cc threads so I get the sediment

Just make sure you read and understand the entire sorority agreement. Hopefully, you and/or your spouse are lawyers. :rofl:

ETA: It’s not written by one that’s for sure.

Here are a few direct quotes from the UM website…

"Through the University of Michigan’s Early Action program, you can apply earlier in the admissions timeline—by November 1 of your senior year in high school—and receive a decision on admission earlier on in the process. "

“Early Action provides you with a guaranteed decision date. For many students, this enables better planning.”

While they do acknowledge that the decision could be postponed past late January, they’re certainly promoting the notion that applying EA will get you an earlier decision which allows you to plan better. For approximately 70% of the EA applicants, that’s just not true and, as such, is a pretty disingenuos thing to promote.

6 Likes

No that’s not known.

Typically, yes, that would be correct, but this year, the RD release date or dates, if there’s deviation from the past, may or could impact the results.

Thx for your response but if the argument for earlier release of decisions is not prolonging the uncertainty, emotions and being able to prepare, schools would have a single unified release date for everything earlier ( like the medical residency match program).

Has the fact that the Ivys, Stanford, Duke and others who have traditionally been the last to release admissions deterred good candidates from attending these schools.? Is their lack of “love” as you put it deterring kids from attending? I suspect if the vague term “Early April” is used it’s on or within a day or so of the other schools I’ve mentioned also releasing which shouldn’t deter anyone if they really want to attend.

With respect to the other issue of one Mich program’s acceptance being predicated on another Mich school’s acceptance and needing to know one before the other - that is an issue Mich will certainly find a way to resolve internally.

While many students know where they’re going already and can “prepare” the vast majority will have only a few weeks to make a decision. Yes its a tough (particularly in the pandemic and not being able to visit) decision. A decision that will cost hundreds of thousands for many. But its it’s been like that forever. A few weeks or days earlier will not make a difference ( though I agree I wish this process was much shorter and all of the gamesmanship starting with the early cycles were not part of the process).

The only “fair” solution to the process which of course will never happen is a single release date for every school and a single reply date for students. From that the waitlist domino can play out ( which is a whole different issue with respect to having to make a rapid decision about attending a school and forfeiting a substantial deposit)

2 Likes

In our situation (OOS) the aid isn’t enough without one of the few very hard to get merit scholarships. She will apply (it’s a lot of work) but she knows what the likely outcome will be.

I’m surprised at the constant traffic on this thread. I’ve learned a lot. But still not convinced any school is worth taking out loans for -especially when grad school is also in the picture.

3 Likes

My daughter loves her sorority. Those friendships are what got her through the last year for sure. She said it is the best decision she made. Idk about that, lol, but she likes it enough.

This seems to make sense, as there appears to be an inordinate amount of postponements. I have heard of no rejections at our large public school. (didn’t mean to put my response in this thread, and don’t know how to delete it!)

1 Like

My daughter is in a sorority at umich and loves it. Has been a great support system / sisterhood for her through all the stress she has been through.

Responded to the wrong post earlier and meant to respond here… This seems to make sense, as there appears to be an inordinate amount of postponements. I have heard of no rejections at our large public school.

2 Likes

This is my take as well. The April date is unfair to EA applicants. What is the point of applying EA when you are going to postpone 50% of applicants and then compare them against RD applicants who had more time to craft their application. I’m a UmIch alum and I will be super irritated by this already annoyingly long process if claims of an April 1st week decision are proven true.

I also know admissions doesn’t equal university experience. I loved Michigan because while it was large it also gave plenty of opportunities and resources to personalize my time there and my classmates, facilities, and professors were all top notch. So I wouldn’t rule out Michigan based on an admission process alone but I can see how it might be a deciding factor for OOS applicants who may have other equally good options.

7 Likes