UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I’m sure I’ve read this somewhere, but honestly following too many threads at this point… Does UM factor in the mid-year grades/report into their decision making? Fortunately for my D, senioritis hasn’t hit and her grades are strong. Hoping her GPA and senior course rigor will give her a boost.

I really have no idea. I’d guess that, for most applicants, a good grade report would make less of an impact on their decision than a poor mid-year grade report would.

I think they’ll assume that grades continue to be strong, unless they specifically request midyear grades in an email or portal change.

Just my opinion, but at this point, I think the “piles” or “pools” are formed or mostly formed, as they’re still probably reviewing and scoring the 2/1 apps. But they’ve likely already assigned scores to the deferred 11/1 apps. And now it’s all about filling out the “institutional priorities.”

1 Like

They did request “fall-term grades” from all deferred applicants.

2 Likes

Somewhere up-thread, I thought I saw a comment from a parent whose son reviewed his admissions file and it mentioned that he was in a postponed pile with comments that seemed to imply they were waiting for 7th sem grades.

I maybe wrongly assumed that the poster was referring to the mid-2nd (or Spring) semester grades.

Fair enough

Agree. I had forgotten the virtual visits. My kid did tons of those. I think I was thinking of in person visits as some people have mentioned those being in the plus column elsewhere and my thought was that they don’t matter all that much compared to years past.
Sure, if you’re kid can demonstrate getting engaged that definitely helps. My kid refused to contact any AO’s or regional reps. We asked many times. Don’t know if that will hurt any apps. And I think the essays are important and an outstanding recommendation is probably the best of all.

Sounds exactly like my DD22. I wanted her to send a note to the AOs of the schools where we visited on our own, and it was like pulling teeth.

1 Like

I don’t know about this. My deferred kid had just the loci request, nothing about midterm grades.

Yes, like pulling impacted wisdom teeth in the woods without dental tools. Never happened at any school despite lots of nagging on my part.

There wasn’t a specific request for midterm grades (at least for my D22). It simply said your GC should send updated grades.

Did I miss that somewhere along the almost 5,000 posts? There’s two types of requests, one asking for midterm grades (and LOCI?) and one that is LOCI only?

Wait! Are you guys talking about my daughter? :rofl:

Coz that’s exactly how it is with her!

1 Like

No. I think everyone received the same message. But it wasn’t as straightforward as other schools. So some people missed either the LOCI request, fall-term grades, or both.

Yes, you’re absolutely correct: I just opened and read and yes it’s right in the message about decision postponed. What tripped up my kid was that right underneath it says checklist complete - all materials required of the Office of Undergraduate Admission to process your application have been received. I wonder whether that was an older message from before the postponement? It also says No actions required at this time (under Action Items). Under Application it says Checklist Complete: All Required Admissions Materials Received. So…hard to know what to do at this point. Still ask counselor to do it?

And there is this thing in the FAQ that says there are 3 choices: probably hard to see pic but seems like ECI only is a choice

Yes, only sending in the ECI/LOCI is a choice. As is not doing anything at all (I know past year applicants who got admitted without having taken any action).
But on the portal they do say submit your grades. So I would suggest doing so unless you think grades have dipped significantly and would adversely affect the outcome.

1 Like

RD applicants were also emailed the same EOCI information that postponed students got. They received an email last week

1 Like

Odd that they would do this. They’re essentially asking RD applicants, “do you still really want to come here?”

Have they done this in the past @sushiritto, @Knowsstuff and others?

1 Like