UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

As far as how credits can be used it depends. In engineering some can be used instead of taking breadth courses. Michigan is very picky about transfer classes BTW especially math and science.

Call admissions and ask. Don’t assume.

To be clear on concept, asking about, and discussing, whether UMich is liberal or conservative is fine. Any user who is not a moderator telling someone what they can or cannot post is not fine. Also not fine, complaining on this thread that someone flagged your post.

Carry on.

9 Likes

That’s really good and useful information thanks. Could make a difference in someone deciding to attend] UM or another school.

I completely understand as we are waiting on Yale, northwestern and Columbia but I believe my D22 feels UMich checks more boxes for her personally now, so we shall see!

1 Like

We received 2 so far, both she was automatically eligible for just by admission…a smaller merit right upon admission and a very generous renewable one a few weeks back from aid office (as well as generous grant)…we are still waiting on all of the LSA ones and individual private ones. We have been extremely fortunate and are very appreciative!

3 Likes

@annieland, I am rooting for you with an acceptance to knock your socks off!

4 Likes

First, you’re a homer. Second, its Colorado State. But not to get technical or anything. :laughing:

3 Likes

Yikes, sorry all, didn’t mean anything bad.

I think students in STEM majors are more likely to trend conservative than liberal arts majors, which might explain Cal Poly’s relatively conservative leanings. UofM has everything - humanities, the arts, engineering, the sciences - so you might see more left leaning students there.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Yeah … moving on from Michigan will be extremely difficult - I will need an entirely new wardrobe, phone case, keychain, bags, etc. :sweat_smile:
It would be much easier if I had not been raised as a Michigan sports fan … I even tried to convince my parents to let me move in with my grandparents for my last few years of high school so I would qualify for in-state tuition. I also will be working with the football program of wherever I go and I made some pretty strong connections with Michigan’s over the past two years - not to mention I grew up rooting for them. Still holding out some small hope that I will get merit from them but I don’t think they have that much left to send out unfortunately (at least for COE).

5 Likes

I feel your pain, moving on is never easy. My fingers are crossed you get what you need from UMich but if not the other options are so great I think you’ll find yourself very happy (and you can sell your Mich stuff online :roll_eyes:)
Keep us posted!!!

3 Likes

My twins are more concerned about the scandals, the lack of addressing key student issues, campus safety, and racism than political climate. Lots more concerns about UM than other schools. The “People’s Republic” comment is massively offensive. The perpetuation of the comment, more than the perception, is a massive turnoff for prospective students.

5 Likes

3.2%

What signs?

A bit of trivia, which I discovered last night as I was reviewing my D’s credit card bill for fraudulent charges. I noticed a few charges to something called LineLeap. Go figure, it was “Made at Michigan.”

https://madeatmichigan.umich.edu/ventures/venture/lineleap/

I’ve not heard of it until yesterday. What a great concept IMO.

2 Likes

How is an opinion about the climate offensive ?
If that’s a perception by some then shouldn’t student know that ?

4 Likes

I was fine with it and took it as tongue-in-cheek. Folks say the same thing about California and, more specifically, the SF Bay Area.

1 Like

Sorry, it’s a local Ann Arbor nickname… as I said, affectionate. Never had anyone around here be offended by it before, it’s something everyone says. I didn’t expect anyone to find it massively offensive as I’m so used to hearing it as a local. My apologies!

2 Likes

Since you know the AA area, you know it’s a goofy nickname here, right? I’m not making this up to be a jerk or something?

I’ve not heard it spoken in town, but I’ve read it on Wikipedia and other places.

1 Like