D22 Accepted
COE
OOS -NY
Postponed EA applied on 11/1
UW 4.00
ACT 35
Lots of ECs/Internships.

5 Likes

From 2025 waitlisted pool post, some waitlisted people got in Winter January program in late June. Why not start in September?

1 Like

Very confusing about admitting in winter programs, can someone explain a little bit?

Accepted! LSA and SMTD
OOS RD
Homeschooled applicant

1 Like

I really have no right to chime in anymore, and I definitely have no personal gripe with the school because my son was rejected and deserved to be, especially in comparison to all of these extraordinary applicants here.

But I feel that in the olden days, everyone who didnā€™t get accepted, got rejected. And then there was the small waitlist pool, and often times, they took a few. I would have expected it to be proportionately larger in this generation considering the increase in apps and entering class sizes. But not like, a 20% admit, 20% reject, and 60% WL. I guess the CDS last year reverses those R and WL numbers, so weā€™re really talking about the oft-mentioned skewed CC/A2C sample. But thereā€™s no doubt that this waitlisting business is waaay over the top when you consider they could fill their class 3 times over just from the WL.

Iā€™ll leave it to the stats pros to figure out the trend going forward and see whatā€™s developed when my ā€œD25ā€ is up to bat. And it will be interesting to see if this yearā€™s WL movement is more like last yearā€™s or the year before.

Good luck and congrats again to everyone. Your kids worked so hard and have amazing options, It WILL work out for every one of you. Take care, and Go Blue (or Green for us I think)!

11 Likes

DD22 waitlist after EA deferral
3.96 uw gpa, 1530 SAT

She got into Northwestern tonight so weā€™re happy but just shows that no rhyme or reason to these decisions and no sense in trying to make sense out of them. Good luck to everyone who stays on the WL and Congrats to all who were accepted!!

10 Likes

Accepted
EA Postponed
OOS
CoE
4.0 (gpa out of 100 at our school - 98 unweighted); 1550 (790m, 760v)
Not a legacy

Highest rigor, decent but not amazing extracurriculars and leadership, 7 APs (canā€™t take until Junior year in our district)

Interestingly, I felt his essays were ok, not amazing. However, I really liked his why Michigan!

A long time ago (like 2000 posts ago) I said my DS was fed up and said heā€™d go to Purdue (Honors) even if he got in to Michigan. After about 10 minutes, which included trying to sign up for an admitted students day or a tour and finding them all full, and thinking 42k per year vs 70k per year, heā€™s almost back to Purdue. Michigan would require 120k in loans, based on our budget. And he has some concerns about north campus. But itā€™s such an amazing place - so heā€™s still processing.

He still feels honored to have been accepted, particularly after being waitlisted at Rice yesterday. We are really surprised and now confused!

I have really enjoyed this thread. Thanks everyone.

7 Likes

@NorthJersey Ha. DS got into Michigan tonight but rejected from Northwestern. And waitlisted at Rice yesterday!

1 Like

@sushiritto - here is data for you. Thank you for compiling for the future

Decision: Accepted- male
Application Type: EA postponed
School: LSA
Stats: uwGPA 3.9+ with lots of rigor and ACT- 34
Legacy: yes- mom residency, brother class of 22- but I thought that only factored into DI and not more
We are so so so happy tonight! This has been a long process and being a Michigander most of my life happy my youngest can go back to my home and be near family too

5 Likes

Same.
Strange no decision.

Congratulations! Northwestern is a very good school!

1 Like

Yes, strange and Sooo frustrating!

I am so happy for those that got good news! I couldnā€™t figure out at first why this waitlist feels so wrong, but I think what bothers me is thisā€¦. When the ea results came out, if dd had been rejected, there was plenty of time to pivot. Time for ED2. Instead, we were told that we just needed to wait for the first wave. So we waitedā€¦ we were discouraged from calling, and it was made clear that aside from the LOCI, they were not interested in updates. Walking away from this feeling like U of M had a lot of power over these kids, and Iā€™m not impressed by how they chose to wield it.

16 Likes

Yes. About 13,000 applicants accepted a spot on the waitlist last year and they ultimately accepted 70 of them. Not good odds.

2 Likes

Question for those WL for Sport Management: Are you holding out hope for the SM Immersion program that admits 50 students off the waitlist for January admission?

My son, deferred EA, OOS, 3.9/33, 10 AP, two sport captain, sports related website/social media with nearly 1000 Twitter followers is hopeful. Already has internship with NFL team lined up for the fall if accepted.

Kid WL after EA postponed, LSA, OOS, school doesnā€™t do unweighted GPA. Luckily happy with a different admit last week.

There is no question they got 50% yearly in EA. This year itā€™s obvious it was more.

1 Like

Decision: D was EA Deferred; did not submit continued interest form; waitlisted today
LSA/OOS
4.0, 36 ACT, many APs mostly 5s (including BC Calc)
Excellent ECs, sports captain multiple years, all state recognition, Student body pres, national philanthropy awards
Not a legacy
Accepted: UCLA, UNC honors, UVA honors
Rejected: Stanford REA

She will not be accepting the WL spot (frankly shocked she was WL since she didnā€™t feel strongly enough about Mich to fill out the continued interest form!)

Congrats to those who got in!

1 Like

Decision: Accepted 3/25/22

Application type: EA - Postponed 1/28/22

School: LSA

Stats: UW 3.90 / W 4.75; 9 APs (5s mostly)

SAT: 1490

Legacy: Y, dad

ā€”-

Notes of unknown value:

1. high school finals were in January and first semester grades not released until late January. Almost certainly not considered in the EA round. Curious how much this factored in to other postponements too and EA acceptances.
  2. First semester: all As (all APs)
  3. LOCI touched on Legacy (which she did not mention in original app) and deep desire to attend.
  4. ECs: signficant leadership roles deep in two fields
    ā€”-

My daughter was waitlisted. EA deferred, then waitlisted today, and conceding defeat. OOS, 4.3gpa, TO, legacy. She got the ā€œlegacy letterā€ that mentions her family history at the university (dad is an alumn). Maybe she would have just been rejected, but they waitlisted the legacies as a courtesy. Congrats to those who got in. I hope Michigan exceeds all of your wildest dreams. Go Blue!

3 Likes