UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

My son was accepted at Furman too, with a full tuition scholarship. We are going to their accepted students day next month. Comparing Furman to UMich is like comparing apples and oranges…completely different type of school!

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Good choice. Beat wishes at UIUC

1 Like

We too are now MSU. There is an admitted student’s day coming up on 4/16. That includes many events for the student and family along with tickets to the spring football game.

7 Likes

This is helpful, thank you. My question is does the total number of applicants listed include ONLY those that were first admitted to the college and whose applications were then forwarded to Ross OR does the application total include everyone that applied initially - including those that were never admitted to the college? Because then the acceptance rate would look very different.

No truer advice/comment has been provided! No loans, if possible!

1 Like

I’m so sorry. You and I are on many of the same schools’ forums. My son seems to be in the same boat as your daughter. Best wishes this week to her! We are hoping for just one yes!

4 Likes

Honestly reading the thread I dont know why my son was waitlisted and not rejected. He doesnt come close to some on this waitlist profile. I am thrilled he loved UMD where he accepted. Car ride away and cheaper)He will rides out the WL but doubt he will get in. I wish everyone good luck. Strange year and poorly done from this school in particular.
OOS with (Legacy -Maybe this is why he was waitlisted. )
1390 SAT
93 unweighted GPA / Private school.
Honors and AP’s in Math Physics
COE major
EC/ Robotics, Sports played and town coach
He is a good kid - worked hard. Will excel where he goes as will all the others.
The process for my older kids was so much easier applied ED and both got in to first choice - somehow this dragging on past April when they heard in November is a horrible situation for so many parents in the same boat.
Hang in- brighter days ahead.
Honestly, I wish they flat out denied him in EA - the process would have been less torturous.

7 Likes

Totally anecdotal, but as an in-stater here, it seems a lot more OOS were waitlisted while the in-state were rejected, irrespective of stats. I expected a rejection for mine, but am shocked to hear all the rejections in my AA “feeder” community. It’s like they got their in-state class they wanted during the Jan-Feb. rounds and expect a high yield, and will fill any gaps with OOS.

Hang in there any who opt-in to waitlist, you never know, everything is too nuts this year.

4 Likes

The question is - who did they take instate? Because the overall numbers will be same. 50% instate. Is Michigan trying to diversify itself away from instate “feeder” schools?

Yes, I have this information. I tried to send you a DM but not sure how to do this. Happy to talk offline and share info

Unfortunately, I don’t have intel to give any insightful comments about that. My son went to a private through 8th grade and is in a less-traditional high school and lost touch with a lot of his class. Neither of us have much of a social network anymore in his year, and with COVID so many kids dispersed to different schools.

I’ll say one thing that I suddenly remembered last night. I thought of a kid whose mom I still talk to from our old private school, and her son was already recruited for Tennis back in Junior year, so was committed early (extremely academic too). We might be forgetting about a big crop of athletes here who already secured spots a year and a half ago.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I have really enjoyed all of your posts through this process. You’ve been a wealth of information and a great sounding board.

5 Likes

Need advice here. I posted in college search, but this is more of a Michigan question. DD22 accepted EA LSA but did not get Ross. There was a suggestion of getting a Ross minor. How hard is that to get into? I know that previously rejected Ross applicants are at bottom when looking at 2nd year transfers.

Otherwise, crazy as it sounds, DD22 is looking at business majors elsewhere.

My student there said all of her friends (at least a half dozen) with siblings who applied had their siblings accepted. At least one was accepted EA but many were accepted on Friday. In my own life, 2/3 OOS friends had kids admitted.

I know that CC usually skews more to good news than is reality, but I am wondering if for some odd reason it’s skewing towards the bad this year.

It’s so much anecdotal evidence (both ways). It will be interesting to see how this plays out stats-wise and with the waitlist.

2 Likes

DD22’s OOS school was the same as usual.

Anyone hear about lead scholarship?

Many of my sons friends non Ross, in like Economics were interviewing for the same companies as the Ross students. Non Ross students get many many business internships and jobs. Talk to an advisor. I have said many times before, you don’t need Ross to go into business field at Michigan. It’s just one avenue.

2 Likes

We are out of state with a sibling at UM. My daughter was one of many who were waitlisted from her class with siblings at UM or parents who went there (including the valedictorian).

To add to this.

Daughter waitlisted from top feeder school. I think its actually a relief for her as she felt the pressure to go, but was thrilled about it as its close to home and she has spent a fair amount of time on campus as I am an alumni. I think they are waitlisting legacies rather than give outright rejections. Got a full tuition scholarship to Syracuse and feels wanted there with the way the school is rolling out the red carpet. I just wish she was closer to home.

2 Likes