UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

We are in the same boat. My daughter was waitlisted at two schools (UM and UNC)and has acceptances at the rest and is not excited about her choices. Ruled out one college last week and going to admitted student day at another next week. She only wants Michigan.

4 Likes

Good luck to your daughter, this process isn’t easy on the kids.

This is the problem. Your daughter and my son had “normal” high school grades. You don’t need to be 4.0 /36 Act to get into selective schools. They can only take so many of those kids. It will also depend on your school report and it’s known rigor. I know many 4.0 kids from last year at Michigan this year. They also had the Ecs to match. They were all leaders or presented that way on paper.

But many kids from the same school /district might have a 3.75 with great Ecs and school rigor. Having rigor doesn’t always mean getting As in those classes. It’s about challenging yourself each and every year.

No school wants perfect kids. Hard to improve on perfect. Do they have a disadvantage? I really don’t think so idj the rest of their application shows otherwise.

But
 This “IS” a crazy cycle and year.

just saw this on the umich reddit, were ross rejections sent early??

1 Like

There were rejections in earlier waves. This is interesting info.

1 Like

General question but addressing it to you - my son is also on the w/l - do you think “decision day” will now be May 2 since May 1 falls on a Sunday? Or are we supposed to notify the college of our choice (he will stay on UM the w/l until the bitter end but obviously has to deposit elsewhere) on Sunday, May 1 and put down a deposit on that day? I’ll call the other college tomorrow to confirm, but wondering if I’m supposed to know this already. Thanks.

May 1st is the national day. Some small colleges extended during the pandemic so calling your school of choice or just go on their website is always a good idea.

Good Luck.

https://ctcl.org/national-college-decision-day-and-next-steps/#:~:text=May%201%20is%20National%20College,in%20life%2C%20nothing%20is%20perfect.

It’s 5/1, no matter if it’s a Sunday or not. However, I wouldn’t wait until the last possible moment. Sunday’s tend to be “system maintenance” days, so you never know if the system will be down for some length of time.

The majority of WL’s applicants that do get admitted from the WL are May/June admits. I’m not saying April (or even July) isn’t possible, but getting of the WL before 5/1, while it be awesome, isn’t the most likely scenario for most.

LSA is still awarding scholarships.

2 Likes

Does anyone feel that a Full pay kid has higher chances of getting off the waitlist for a need blind school. I read an article that said colleges become need aware when they look at WL candidates. Hope it’s not true
 please share your experience/thoughts. Thank you!!

Maybe @Mwfan1921 can answer your question? I don’t know.

@intekhabkazmi23 I do think full pay students have an advantage coming off the waitlist at many schools, simply because FA budgets are often maxed out by that point. I expect Michigan is need aware for the waitlist, and another consideration at state schools is the whole in-state vs OOS enrollment goals vs revenue maximization issue.

With that said, one never knows what will happen with the waitlist
it’s ok to hope for the best, but also make sure to love the school you deposit at by May 1. I’m not up to speed on the Michigan threads, but according to counselor list servs there has been some in-state waitlist movement. Haven’t heard about OOS. Good luck.

1 Like

@sushotra, @Mwfan1921 - thank you so much for taking the time to review and respond. At this point hoping that my daughter can find the love for the other schools she is admitted too and we are also meeting with the school CC to see if they have any recommendation for UMich since there are few admits each year.

1 Like

How do you know they are still awarding scholarships (LSA)

They specifically stated they are rolling until mid to late April and they stated they would send an email in mid April to notify about status.

2 Likes

Good luck to yours also. Next year we will look back at this process and laugh about how stressful it was and smile about how happy our kids are wherever they landed.

In 2020, my daughter’s friend was waitlisted at Michigan and gave his deposit a couple of weeks before decision day to another school. Literally, the next day, he got off the Michigan WL. It was 2020 but it could happen again.

Was your daughter’s friend In-state applicant or OOS? Thank you!

thank you so much!! it’d be much easier if i had already made a decision but i’m still so split between 5 options :sweat_smile: visiting upenn, duke, and ucb in the next two weeks so i’m hoping it’ll be pretty clear for me after the rest of those visits!

COE also specifically stated essentially the same thing in multiple emails to me throughout the entire month of march but then on april 4 said their scholarship office was done with the process and had sent out all offers - have you directly heard from them in the past week that they’re still awarding scholarships?