UMich Application, #1 School in USA, Extremely Rigorous Course Load, even relative to my school, Good ECs, but somewhat below average GPA relative to my school

I go to the number one private school in the USA, and I’m looking at UMichigan. I have an extremely rigorous course load, even relative to the school I go to, but my GPA is, relative to my school, below average. I’m only a Junior, and the school year just began, so I will work very hard to get it up. My extra curriculars are pretty intense.

However, my GPA is still above 4.0 (grades are from 1-6, with 5.0 being a 4.0 GPA, relative to other schools in the country), but below average at my school. I’m worried about how I compare relative to other students at my school. Will my course load make up for it, especially if I can make big changes toward a better GPA in the future?

What do you think?

Also, I got a 1530 on the SAT, but I’ll be retaking it to get above a 1550.

1 Like

Can you define the #1 private school in the USA. I love how all these rankings appear - the top school in the state or the #1 private…blah blah blah.

If you’re at the #1 private school, or #179, talk to your college counselor - they’ll know where you’ll have your best odds.

At some privates, the 30th or 50th percentile is golden and at others, it’s not.

Rigor matters of course but it’s not the only thing. It and GPA are the two most important things - with the test of lesser importance per their common data set…but still important.

A 1550 or 1530 won’t matter - at 1530, assuming you’re balanced, you can stop.

But you’re not just a grade and test. You’re also a total human being - with extra curriculars, essay questions, and a teacher LOR.

And then you’ll choose a major and that can impact.

And guess what - if you get in UM, then great - and if not, there’s lots of sub schools - whether Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, wherever.

Focus on what you can control - you. And not what you can’t - what Michigan thinks.

But since you go to the #1 school in America - and I say that cynically, when the time comes, take advantage of the guidance counseling they offer vs. asking strangers here. You’ll be better suited.

Good luck.

2 Likes

The guidance counselor at your private HS is the best one to ask.

4 Likes

thank you for the reply. i’ll talk to the college counselors, the school is number one on niche and us news, but you’re right, there’s a lot of lists. thank you for the help i really appreciate it

This is what the #1 school on niche states about 11th grade - so yes work with them. That’s why you pay them the big bucks!!

​Research and Preparation

Your transformation from adolescent to young adult begins here. Working together with your parents and college counselor, you will learn to refine your goals and interests while developing a balanced college list that meets the needs of the unique individual that you are.

1 Like

I might have some familiarity with them. :grin:

What I also know that the #1 private school has excellent college counselors who know both you and the universities and are well-equipped to guide you.

5 Likes

Welcome! You posted this in the section about chancing and matching students to colleges. Is that what you are interested in? If so, please provide a little more information.

See: How to post a Chance Me or Match Me thread.

In addition to the advice already given, I’d focus on this. Yes, a higher overall GPA would be better than not (even accounting for rigor). But, an upward trajectory would be a good thing to demonstrate on your transcript.

So Michigan likes privates and kids coming from rigorous schools with rigorous classes and good GPA. I agree that the Sat is fine. You need a solid essay. They actually want to know who you are. You are also compared to others at your school but just because someone has a higher GPA or Sat will mean little. It’s the person they are evaluating not the grade point. Michigan avg is 3.9 umweighted with a 32-35 Act. Your Sat equivalent hits that mark.

Your school will know how many kids get accepted and how many go each year. On the Michigan thread I posted something about which schools Michigan looks very closely at and how many acceptances etc. Go take a look. It’s an older article but good information.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.