UMich Dearborn to Ann Arbor Transfer

Hi

I’m a current in state HS senior who was rejected from LSA CS and am planning on enrolling at UMich Dearborn and applying to transfer after my first semester there and if that does not go well then for the winter semester of my sophomore year. I would be coming into Dearborn with no credits and my HS stats are a 3.65 UW GPA and a 1410 SAT (720R 690M) with 5 APs taken in high school. Given that I 4.0 first my semester at Dearborn what is the likelihood that I am admitted to Ann Arbor with 15 credits at the time of application and 30 by the time I enroll? and additionally, are Dearborn students at an advantage when applying to transfer?

Actually no advantage to applying. If under like 55 credits they will still look at your high school record. You are not considered a cross campus transfer but an external one. But your classes will transfer is the advantage.

1 Like

I would be really careful about planning to do this for computer science. As you know, CS at Michigan is now capacity constrained, which would make the likelihood of transferring into the program far less likely than into LSA in general.

Were you accepted to LSA but not selected for CS? If so, you probably have a better shot at transferring than if you weren’t accepted to LSA at all.

This plan still seems pretty risky, so you will need a plan B and plan C if you wouldn’t be happy staying at Dearborn for 4 years.

1 Like

I would personally sit down with the transfer department at Ann Arbor and create a path. They will answer all your questions.

1 Like

I was looking at past transfer statistics, and it seems as though they do have an advantage. The transfer acceptance rate was roughly 55 percent for Dearborn to Ann Arbor students.

I was not admitted to LSA at all. I would not have a problem attending UMich as a data science major as well as I am still undecided with what I would like to do.

Many do this program and really enjoy it at Ann Arbor.
https://www.si.umich.edu/research/research-areas/data-science-analytics-and-visualization