UMich Deferral Class of 2025

@dar222 Could you tell me what section of the common app portal shows that grades have been downloaded? Thanks!

Under the FERPA section and where recommendations are, you can see where the counselor rec is, mid year report, transcript etc, and date each thing has been uploaded/downloaded.

1 Like

@srparent15 Thank you!

1 Like

I’m not sure if our school uses parchment (they have never referenced it or given us options to use it), but the counselors uploaded the midyear report to the common app without prompting. Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a standard way that high schools and colleges did things?? Pipe dream.

2 Likes

Our school told us they’d be sending mid-year reports to all schools they still had active applications with as a matter of rule. The only one we directly request is the final because we have to tell them where we are going and they will only send one (the one where you deposit). Now, if you get in off a wait list after May 1, they’ll send the second, but you can only request one unless circumstances change.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly, that’s what they are supposed to do to prevent double-depositing after May 1 (as far as the final transcript).

Does anyone know when the waves are supposed to be released for deferred candidates?

1 Like

curious why you say that the interview form was sent to all engineering applicants? My son applied EA to engineering and was deferred/postponed, submitted his 1st semester grades and submitted his ECI letter last week and he hasn’t received anything about an interview, so all engineering applicants definitely weren’t sent it.

my son is deferred college of engineering and hasn’t received anything about an interview

we have to request our HS transcripts through parchment, my son got an email that said " The transcript you requested from Dakota High School was successfully received by University of Michigan - Ann Arbor on 02/01/2021.

If you sent a document to a college or university, it can take up to six weeks for them to process the document after they receive it."

On the common app it still has the original date for them having received his school report and the line for midyear report is blank. Hope they really got it.

I wish there was one consistent way of doing these things! Our counselor evidently submitted the report and the common app shows that the university downloaded it 1/31, so I assume we are good to go. As long as they have it.

yeah according to parchment they received it and downloaded it, so he should be set…it just doesn’t reflect it on his common app which is a little concerning but hopefully it’s all ok.

1 Like

did anyone notice that the prompt for the ECI form is not there any more on the portal…
In 250 words or less, describe how your personal educational goals connect to the University of Michigan’s mission and values, and share any additional information that you would like us to know.

It was different on my son’s portal. Just update with additional information

Ok thanks. Will provide just additional info only.

1. Did he have an interview during EA round? If so, that’s most likely why he didn’t get it now.

2. Everyone we know that applied for Engineering seemed to have gotten it and many mentioned it on here as well, but it does appear that it wasn’t sent to everyone, assuming your son checked his spam.

3. Do you live in an area there are not a lot of UM alum?

4. Our OOS school tends to be a feeder school to Michigan so maybe they want to gauge interest even though the “interview” is really meaningless.

I wouldn’t worry about your son not getting one. These are going until March 21 which means it’s likely the kids who do them may not hear decisions until the April batch. In the past I also know of kids from our school that signed up for one and then later were sent an email that there weren’t enough interviewers so they never had one anyway. Many get in without so I wouldn’t hold much stock into them. They’re just to sell your kid on the school.

Yes, mentioned this awhile ago. They removed it within a week after the decisions came out. Probably because it was so open ended and they realized it is hard to keep to 250 words. My son’s was 350 and had to cut it down. It changed the day my son was posting his so he ignored the fact the prompt was gone and answered as if it were still there since he had already written it and he had updates to share anyway. They can choose to take it or leave it. I don’t think he’ll be disappointed if he doesn’t get in but I would prefer he has some options, although UM has to do a much better job with covid this semester and with that the verdict is still out!

1 Like

no interview or offer of interview during EA round.
no emails in spam regarding it, no calls or voicemails either.
Guessing we live in an area of a lot of UM alum, in Macomb Township, MI, just over an hour from Ann Arbor.

Could be then that they don’t feel he needs to be any more “informed” about UM or to be sold on it if you live that close. Seems like at other schools that is a common story.

We live in Milford, MI area and did get the offer earlier and last week after deferral. Did not do either interview and not expecting acceptance.