UMich Fall 2023 Transfer Thread

Yea that’s a good point. Apparently on reddit somebody called the Admissions Office and they said that if you have 30+ credits including AP/IB, you should be fine. Still, that whole note that I copy/pasted above is just really weird tho… some of the wording is very hard to understand like “First year applicant for Fall 2023” when they referred to first year applicant as HS seniors in the previous sentence

Thank you! Did your daughter get in?

It is weird because they say they are not looking for a specific GPA and number of credits but when my son got rejected he emailed them why he got denied they said due to number of your credits that you earned so far.

I’ve seen a few freshman applicants accepted in the past few days and AFAIK most of them have a lot of credits from AP/IB

She did not. I really don’t know what they are looking for. The year she applied as a transfer she was accepted to every school except Michigan and all were highly competitive schools (Cornell, WashU, Vanderbilt, Emory, USC, NYU). It’s still a mystery. It all worked out in the end, but was devastating at the time.

1 Like

This was on their website months ago, they just recently updated the dates, so it’s not new.

After careful reading we came to the conclusion that statement refers only to students who want to transfer to start in Winter of their first year of college. In other words, if you were just rejected as a freshmen applicant for Fall 23, do not apply for Winter 24. Wait and apply for Fall 24. Somewhat confusing because the Fall 24 application goes active so early and they start accepting candidates in January.

Also confusing because they emphasize that to be competitive you should have two completed semesters at the time of application, which would mean earliest transfers Winter of sophomore year. Simply not true - they do accept students after only one semester, but who will have two completed semesters at the time of transfer.

If you read up thread, you’ll also see that they rejected some candidates after two years elsewhere because they would have too many credits at the time of transfer, so it’s a fine line and I suspect the sweet spot differs from student to student.

1 Like

It seems most have success transferring into Michigan as a junior . But be careful as Michigan is extremely picking on accepting certain credits like math and science. Work with the transfer advisor on this early so your taking classes that will actually transfer and not wasting time /money.

You mean they will start their Junior year in Fall 2023?

2 Likes

Or whenever they start. Not saying you can’t do it before but it seems people are more successful

How often before decisions did people withdraw button disappear?

Oh okay. I have 10 AP tests and 8 of them are 5s so hopefully AP stuff should work in my favor.
I still emailed the LSA transfer office and they replied with this:

"Thank you for your message and your interest in transferring to the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) at the University of Michigan’s Ann Arbor campus!

The information you’re referencing stems from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions language regarding competitive applicants to LSA: A specific number of earned credits is not required, but competitive transfer candidates typically have two or more semesters of transferable graded college coursework at the time of application. Students with less than two semesters of graded college work at the time of application will have more emphasis placed upon the high school academic record as part of our evaluative process. Competitive College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) transfer applicants will have taken a strong curriculum of transferable college courses. As we assess the curriculum elected, we are looking for classes that satisfy LSA distribution requirements, align with academic area of interest/major, and/or demonstrate progression of curriculum (upper-level coursework).

In general, students can apply whenever they choose to and should just keep in mind the above language. AP credits would be considered as part of your transferable credits; however, every institution evaluates these credits differently and so what may count at one school may not count at another. I recommend reviewing the AP Guidelines page to which of your scores would award you credit here.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,"

Therefore, I think that applying as a first year in college is fine.

I just got accepted today for sophomore transfer! (currently a freshman and does not have more than 30 credits)

2 Likes

Congratulations!! When did you submit your application? I’m still waiting for my decision.

Thank you!! I applied around Jan 10

1 Like

What were your stats ?

I applied and Im a freshman also so just wondering

Did your withdraw button disappear so you remember?

Yes. Gone around 3 PM. Decision came at 5 PM

Congratulations! By any chance, were you waitlisted last year?

1 Like

I applied for first year last year and got rejected lol