UMich freshman winter transfer from Purdue

Demographics

• US citizen

• incoming freshman at Purdue University (Hs was considered competitive TX HS)

• Female/Asian (optional):

Computer Engineering

** GPA, Rank, and Test Scores**

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.5~3.6
  • Weighted HS GPA *: 3.9~4.0
  • College GPA (for transfers): n/a
  • Class Rank: 250/630
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 34 ACT

Coursework
*HS: 12 APs, 4 English Lang, 4 US history, 5 human geo, 4 chemistry, 5 physics C, 5 calc bc
Planned college courses: will take physics 2 and calc 3 over summer, CLEP exam for psy, and will meet ALL required engineering transfer prereqs by end of first semester freshman year. 52+ transferable umich credits by the end of freshman 1st semester.

Awards ( not really that great)
*National English Honor Society
*Region Band
*Academic Decathlon District Finalist

Extracurriculars
3. HS model UN web master
4. Local political campaign data analyst intern
5. Community Indian Cultural Assoc. youth coordinator
6. Kumon math and reading instructor
7. HS Academic decathlon coordinator

1. city youth symphony
  2. HS Lead trumpet player in jazz ensemble

College ECS: Getting a job over upcoming summer, marching band/ concert band,rowing team, engineering research project ( been accepted to research already)
I might not do marching band if my workload isn’t manageable with it but I’ll definitely do concert.

Essays/LORs/Other
*I think my commonapp essay was unique and interesting to read, but what would I know it got rejected the first time.
I haven’t written my transfer essays yet

in Hs I got my rec letters from my English, band, and physics teacher but Since I’ll be applying in October idk if I’ll even have the time to get new recommendations and might use the same ones. Or I’ll get one from an internship I did.

Cost Constraints / Budget
*not a big factor, if I am accepted and I don’t think it’ll be worth the transferring stress and extra cost in comparison to Purdue, I just won’t transfer *

Schools
*Umich Winter 2022 transfer
*Umich Fall 2022 transfer ( if rejected during winter

*Background: since I was rejected as a first year applicant my hopes aren’t high for freshman winter transfer. Purdue is an exceptional school, and if I don’t end up being accepted, I have no problem staying there. I just want to take a shot at it if it’s no extra effort on my part because umich was my dream school and personally I think it’s a better fit for me geographically, culturally, socially etc. but again, I have nothing against Purdue, I just really like umich but I’m not putting all my hopes into transferring because in the end staying at Purdue will be less expensive and less of a hassle than transferring. In fact, if I am accepted, I won’t jump to accept the offer. I just want to take a shot, no harm in that right?

My Hs gpa went 3.0, 3.3, 3.5, 4.0 for each of the 4 years. Because I was originallly rejected and won’t have a college gpa, I have no specific hopes to get in, but I think after this semester of senior year the upward trend in my Hs grades will be more apparent than when I originally applied.

I think overall, the admissions office would have to make a lot of exceptions to admit me in the winter. They usually don’t accept freshman in the winter, I won’t have a college gpa, and because I will apply in October some of my prereqs will be concurrent and not already completed. But personally, I don’t think I’ll be applying to umich again if I am rejected in the winter . POSSIBLY, I might apply for fall 2022 but I do like Purdue and I don’t want to leave a college half way through and keep stressing over transferring.

Without a college GPA you are wasting your time.

IMO you are better off being fully committed to purdue and reassessing after freshman year.

4 Likes

Without much of a college record, transfer admission will be based mostly on your high school record.

It looks like Michigan engineering wants to see transfer applicants complete substantial amount of frosh/soph course work with letter grades: Admissions & aid

Also, beware that Michigan can be stingy with transfer credit, possibly requiring you to retake courses and delay graduation. Here are the listings for transfer courses from Purdue: Transfer Credit

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.