UMich vs UT Austin vs UNC Chapel Hill for Finance

I was recently admitted to Umich, UNC, and UT Austin McCombs but I’m having trouble deciding which one I like most since they all seem really appealing to me for different reasons.

Umich:

Pros - Always been my dream school, my dad went to Ross and my brother is a junior there now

Cons - Haven’t found out if I’ve gotten into Ross (comes out in another 3 weeks but feel like I have a good chance since I’m for the most part a better applicant than my brother who is there now). My brother has told me that it’s very competitive.

UNC-Chapel Hill:

Pros: In-state tuition after my first year since my dad lives there. Applied as an oos student and got in which is comparatively a lot harder than in-state and, from what people have told me, I would probably do really well there in comparison to the other students making me really stand out.

Cons: Didn’t get in as a direct admit to business which means I’d have to apply my sophomore year (I’m not that worried about it but it still lingers). I also got into Carolina Global Launch meaning I’d spend my first semester abroad in Scotland which isn’t necessarily a con (I feel like I’d enjoy it) but I still sort of want to have a normal first semester.

UT Austin:

Pros: In-state tuition since I live here with my mom. Got admitted directly into McCombs. Lots of my friends are going.

Cons: Really big school and likely to be just as competitive as UMich Ross.

I’d really appreciate some feedback, thanks.

1 Like

Also, I Ideally want to do something in Finance like Investment Banking or Consulting after graduation.

Also, tuition and money doesn’t really play a factor.

Nobody should have to tell you that they are all excellent options so congratulations! Where you end up after graduation will have more to do with what you achieve at any of these colleges rather than which one you attend. I know people who have thrived at each of these places.

That said, it is hard to opine about UM until you find out about Ross. If you get into Ross, UM is your top choice AND it is comfortably affordable for your family (no hardship, little to no debt) then that is a great option. If you don’t get into Ross I’d probably pass on UM as it is very hard to transfer in to the business school.

If you are between UT-Austin and UNC I’d probably opt for UT primarily because you have a direct admit into McCombs. I place a lot of value on a direct admit into the program you want to study. I also don’t love the idea of taking first semester abroad (I prefer a traditional first semester freshman year on campus experience given the option) although I know people who have enjoyed these programs and had a good transition to campus second semester.

This is just one person’s opion. There is no right or wrong answer. Bottom line - pick the school that is right for you.

4 Likes

I think UM maybe the first choice for IB if you get into Ross.

If you get in Ross, then I would go there. Else, I would go to UT. A bird in the hand(direct admit), is worth two in the bush.

Agreed. However the OP said they also consider consulting as a career option. In that case Michigan might be the best all round option.

Take a direct admit. You didn’t not get it at UNC. They don’t offer it. You apply 2nd year.

All three are great but if you want to study finance go where you 100% can.

Ross if you get in.

UT v. UNC:
Scotland (Stirling)+UNC would tempt me because Stirling is a cool campus in a cool university town about 35 miles from Edinburgh, Scotland is just very interesting right now with the race for a new First Minister, the independance movement (ie., Scottish £/British£/euro…) but you’d have to be deadly certain you can get into your major after 2 semesters in 2 different places, are guaranteed on-campus housing for Spring, are offered a transition/orientation from Fall to Spring, don’t care about having NO FA in the Fall ($30,000 for that semester) and can handle the UStirling course rigor, keeping in mind most Scottish students start with the equivalent of several APs and 2 post-AP classes.
Maths1, for instance, is Calc 1&2 packed into one single semester and with vectors&matrices added.
You’d likely also take Introduction to the Global Business Environment and one more, perhaps Economic Decision Making&Markets or another class (“Making of Modern Britain” or “People&Power: Politics of the British Isles” would be especially relevant to being in Britain, taking advantage of where you are studying). If that doesn’t sound appealing and/if all that sounds risky, then…
UT is certain.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 29 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.