UMich Waitlist

Yes, they sent an email regarding portal update…

Okay thanks. I wonder if everyone’s decision is out then or is it in waves?

I think everyone’s decision is out. Best of luck to your kid!

does anyone know when theyll release the data with how many were accepted off the waitlist? also was rejected lsa oos :frowning:

My daughter was rejected off the WL too, LSA and OOS. But the rejection letter stated that she has the opportunity to apply as a sophomore transfer (see below). Was this included in all rejection letters? She’s not sure exactly what this means.

“Although we are unable to offer admission at this time, we would like to extend to you an opportunity for transfer to the university at the sophomore level, rather than the typical junior level, provided that you
attain a 3.2 grade point average or higher, with no grade below a C, while enrolled in transferable courses at another college during your first two full semesters of college work (12-15 credit hours each
semester). Many of the students currently on this campus entered as transfer students. Your desire to join the Michigan family can be a reality.”

2 Likes

I believe the option to transfer was included in all waitlist letters from every school.

We received the waitlist rejection which does not include this specific transfer opportunity. I believe this is a so-called guaranteed transfer option that your daughter can transfer to U Mich as long as she fulfills the aforementioned requirements. You may want to contact AO to verify. Congrats!

2 Likes

Thank you for the responses! Contacting the AO does seem like the right next step

We received the same message. Did you check with the AO

My son received this letter. Is this a generic format for everyone ?

Thank you for your willingness to be on our waitlist for our College of Literature, Science, and the Arts and for your patience while we determined our class for fall 2022. We have now met our enrollment capacity and
unfortunately will not be able to offer you first-year admission for fall 2022.
You are an accomplished student, and we believe you will find success in your educational pursuits. If your
interest in the University of Michigan continues, please
consider applying as a transfer student after your sophomore year. Generally, we give priority to transfer applicants at the junior level who have completed appropriate prerequisites for their intended major and
who have demonstrated strong academic achievement You may also wish to consider your opportunities at our
UM-Dearborn or UM-Flint campuses. Whether you earn your Michigan degree at our Dearborn or Flint
campuses, or transfer to UM-Ann Arbor to complete your degree, your desire to join the Michigan family
can be a reality.

Aster2, please share the rest of the letter that explains how your daughter can let the Admissions Office know that she would want to take this option. Our son won’t share the wording with us!!! :confused:

Michigan doesn’t write personal letters so yes pretty generic. Good luck.

hi! did you end up getting in? and was it your regional AO that you contacted? in the same spot as you this year!

did you end up finding out if this message was sent out to all waitlist applicants?

So this is last year’s wait list but can be this year’s I guess also.

But… Start planning your intended schools of choice. May 1st comes up really quickly. Go to Facebook groups, talk to people on campus, visit if your able to. Do deep dives into clubs and activities that excite you and be an active student on campus. Internships and Employers want to see active student’s.

Good Luck at where you land.

1 Like

My son is currently waitlisted for Fall 2023 for Computer Engineering. I read through this thread and it is extremely useful. The only answer I couldnt find was how does UMICH move students from the WL to the actual admission since there is no ranking. Based on FAFSA?

Thanks so much for all the contributors.

1 Like

Don’t don’t think it has anything to do with fasfa. I would move on. If you get a surprise in mid June then you will have a decision.

No. After the May 1st commitment date, they will determine how many more seats need to to be filled. Then they’ll pick applicants who fulfill unmet institutional needs to fill those seats.

In general, the chances of getting off a waitlist are extremely low so you should treat it as a rejection. For example, last year of 15,076 waitlisted applicants only 77 were eventually admitted. That’s about 0.5%.

1 Like

Here is the Michigan waitlist FAQ: Waitlisted Applicants FAQ | University of Michigan Office of Undergraduate Admissions

As @DadOfJerseyGirl said, the probability of getting off the waitlist is extremely low. The only aberration was 2020, because of Covid, many schools had more movement than was expected that year, but that hasn’t been the case before or since.

Also, their goal is to maintain whatever the class looked like when they shaped it so, as @DadOfJerseyGirl said, the students they choose will fulfill institutional needs and help them maintain the overall stats of the class.

You are right, though, that financial need is considered when admitting students from the waitlist. Waitlist admissions are NOT need blind, so a full-pay student has a better chance than one with financial need.

Thank you ALL. Appreciate the feedback.