UMichigan Class of 2027 Official RD Thread

Absolutely. Is there a way to message me directly? Feel free to ask me anything but sounds like your kid got the same letter. And they are not that common.

Hi Bellaā€™s Mom

Can you email me?

I would love to connect with you, but I donā€™t want to leave my phone number here.

You can do this with a pm instead of leaving your email on a national forumā€¦ FYI.

3 Likes

Yes, Iā€™ll email you tomorrow.

Son was accepted for CS, but we arenā€™t expecting much in financial aid. I donā€™t expect him to attend. Weā€™ll see.

Can we learn the number of waitlisters for each major?

Students apply to a college/school at Michigan, not to a major (with a few exceptions).

Waitlist data is not available at the college/school level, either.

1 Like

My daughter applied to mechanical engineering major. She has been waitlisted. Can she get off the waitlist if another student accepted to mechanical major drops? how does this waitlist system work?

For Michigan and many other schools, the waitlist is a soft rejection for applicants.

A schoolā€™s goal is to accurately predict yield. As you can see, Michigan only offered admission to 1% of waitlist applicants last year, so they are very good at getting close. Some schools last year didnā€™t make a single offer of admission to a waitlisted student.

Anything is possible, but admission from the waitlist is far less probable than being admitted in the first place. Waitlisted students must move on. If your daughter gets a call from Michigan in May/June/July, it will be a pleasant surprise, but she needs to emotionally, financially, and logistically plan to be at another school in the fall.

I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but kids need to get excited about their acceptances now.

13 Likes

I thought Michigan closed the waitlist after May? S23 is inclined to be all in for his chosen school by then (or before then) anyway, whatever Michigan might do. He knows itā€™s a minuscule chance and isnā€™t relying on it at all.

thatā€™s super. congrats!! and thank you for all of this!

1 Like

Last year the waitlist ā€œclosedā€ notification was the last week of June

3 Likes

FWIW, which isnā€™t much, over the years, Iā€™ve seen at least one post where someone was admitted from the WL on the 4th of July weekend. And there have been reports of ā€œfriendsā€ of posters being admitted in August.

But, yes, as @momsday820 mentions, the WL officially closes at the end of June.

4 Likes

CalTech and MIT are the only ones that are arenā€™t subjective. CalTech being so small its in a world of its own. They choose the students, then they turn them into stars. Think special forces of academia. Due to the size of the school, and the resources available. Itā€™s basically a 1 on 1 education .

Anyone who was waitlisted get an offer to apply to the Sports Management immersion program that starts in winter term?

2 Likes

My son received an email yesterday for Movement Science & Applied Exercise Science (MAES) winter cohort for waitlisted students.
We will find out more in the zoom informational session.

5 Likes

My son was recently accepted as an out of state transfer a couple of weeks ago. When does the school send out financial aid award letter? TIA

Accepted CoE!
SAT: 1280
GPA: 3.7 unweighted
5 APs
0 clubs or sports
So happy to get in :hugs: :tada:

4 Likes

Congratulations! Are you a transfer student or waitlisted from RD?

1 Like

Itā€™s been a few days since you posted this. But my daughter heard something like this verbally in her situation for U Michigan Ann Arbor as well. She has been admitted now, but hopefully your son takes advantage of this; this sounds like a great path if he wants to transfer in next year.

1 Like