UMinn tuition to up for Wisco kids

<p>As I expected, Walker has proposed ending the subsidy Wisconsin was paying to Minn to make up for the large gap in tuition which as about $3000/year per student. The cost to go to UMinn just went up.</p>

<p>State</a> students may pay more to attend Minnesota - JSOnline</p>

<p>Also it appears UMinn will be getting large budget cuts. Bad year all around the midwest.</p>

<p>[Bruininks</a> reacts to Minnesota Senate Higher Education Committee budget recommendation : UMNews : University of Minnesota](<a href=“http://www1.umn.edu/news/news-releases/2011/UR_CONTENT_314683.html]Bruininks”>News & Events | University of Minnesota)</p>

<p>Tough days ahead, indeed.</p>

<p>Ending the tuition difference subsidy is one budget cut I can see. It will be hard on students who made their choice based on affordability under current rules. However, it will not remove an equally good choice for Wisconsin residents who choose UW over U of M for financial reasons. It will be tough on some students who get into U of M but not UW- and there is likely to be a domino effect, students who choose UW over U of M will displace some from UW. A few years ago I remember the parents’ SOAR program question/answer period on finances- in July the speaker had to tell MN parents they had to wait for their legislature to determine the tuition they would pay.</p>