UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

Hi,

I am applying to UMKC’s 6-year BA/MD program and I was wondering if anyone was offered an interview yet? or if anyone knows when they will be offering interviews.

Thanks!

i haven’t gotten an interview (out of state applicant), but received an email stating that we would be notified if we got one or not by january 4. that could mean that they send out letters january 4, so we’d know a few days after that. i have high hopes for an interview there since they interview half the applicant pool (half of out of state as well as half of in state applicants).

Hello everyone,

I was in the six-year BA/MD program at UMKC (University of Missouri-Kansas City) and recently graduated in 2009 and matched into Anesthesiology. I entered the program as an out-of-state student.

For any applicants who want to find out more in depth and the realities of this program beyond the website and admission brochures, have questions about what it’s like anywhere from Year 1 to Year 6, the curriculum, or anything else about the 6 year program, feel free to private message me (as I don’t check this forum frequently).

Esp. for you out-of-staters, it’s real important to know as much as you can about the program (or really any program), before signing the dotted line.

Are students with 3.6 GPAs (weighted) even considered for this program?

If they are considered, I believe I have the EC’s and the well-rounded image that the admissions officers seem to look for to get an interview.

I am currently a sophomore, and a 3.6 would be the most realistic improvement to my GPA. . .so, with that said, unless a miracle happens, it’s not going too much higher than that. . .

I did take the ACT on Dec 12, because it was my first time taking it, I have no idea what I scored on it, but I have the capability of doing very well. I am in top-of-the-line classes, but I am making mid B’s in those difficult classes. =\

I really threw this information out there in a jagged, and nonprofessional way, and I apologize.

Like always, any and all tips are GREATLY appreciated!

While 3.6 is low (with respect to applying to BA/MD programs), it really depends on what your rank is. It is also important to know whether you’re applying as in-state or out-of-state.

Realize that many students who will be applying will also have Honors/Pre-AP/AP courses AND be getting A’s in them, and will be highly ranked in their HS class.

They say that you need a 3.0 minimum to apply, but keep in mind that the average accepted GPA is about 3.8. if you’re trying to do a bunch of extracurriculars, then stop. EC’s are only impressive if you can do a bunch and still maintain a high GPA

I am an in-state student. Right now, rank is 12%. That, unlike my previously listed GPA, will be much easier to increase. I could get it down to around 8%? Guestimating.

Well, right now you’re a sophomore so you shouldn’t be worrying about applying. First, get your GPA up and do well on the ACT. Then, you can start looking at these kinds of programs. But yeah, being in-state is definitely a plus.

yeah im kind of like enemyunit. 3.52/4.1 UW/W but 2350 in one try/sitting for the SAT’s so im not sure what will happen to me. ill probably get an interview (im expecting one so it’ll suck if i don’t get one) but im not sure if ill matriculate even if i do get in. they expect you to shadow and all that other stuff, which i thought i was done with in high school until rotations in med school

@doctor2b: You don’t think they will take one glance at my app and say, “Ha ha. That’s funny. Trash it.”

Yeah, 3.6 is low. I understand that, especially comparatively speaking.

And for additional clarity, I am in-state.

i cant really say, THankins, since im not an admissions officer. i really want to say no they would never do that, but who knows? as a safety net, you should work hard on the ACT. i can only say work hard for the next 2 years and good luck!

To the GPA discussion:

I am in my 2nd year at the UMKC program. My high school GPA was right at 3.6 and my ACT 31. What might have saved me was the fact that my school does not rank, thankfully. You might say I had a ton of fancy extracurriculars…but I definitely did not. Couple of sports, I was big on acting, shadowed and volunteered a little. Nothing major and guarentee you way less than whatever you guys will be sending in when you apply.

And here I am anyway. So if you really want to come here (which I would recommend against), then keep the faith my friends.

rolen05 and doctor2b:

Ok so i am the very opposite of you guys…i have a 3.98 unweighted and like a 4.46 weighted and ranked 3/530…but my SATs are (cr 610, wr. 700, math 750)…but supper scored (cr. 610, wr. 770, math 750)…and a 1360 (math and critical reading) subtotal… i am hella scared do u think my gpa balances my suck level on sat

…btw im outa state (California Baby!!!)

According to this website: [ACT/SAT</a> Equivalencies - Requirements and Deadlines - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Iowa](<a href=“http://www.uiowa.edu/admissions/undergrad/requirements/act-conversion.html]ACT/SAT”>http://www.uiowa.edu/admissions/undergrad/requirements/act-conversion.html)

An SAT score of 1360 equates to a 31 on the ACT.

The website says: [University</a> of Missouri - Kansas City](<a href=“http://www.med.umkc.edu/med_admissions/BAMD_adm_req.shtml]University”>http://www.med.umkc.edu/med_admissions/BAMD_adm_req.shtml)
“Regional and out-of-state residents: The average accepted regional or out-of-state applicant has an ACT score of 30 and high school GPA of 3.85.”

So you should be fine. UMKC tends to emphasize more holistic factors unlike the top-tier Bachelor/MD programs which want better numbers.

Hi all, I am ems2010, new to this site. I applied for 6 years BS/MD program at NEOUCOM and at UMKC SOM & am a out of state candidate. I haven’t heard anything yet. Is any one appied for this program(s) and heard anything from them. Pl let me know.
Good luck to all :slight_smile:

so you probably applied to NEOUCOM regular decision. if so, or if you got deferred early action, then interview notices are coming “late january.”

if you signed the e-consent for UMKC, then if you got an interview, UMKC will email you starting january 4, no earlier. if you didnt sign the e-consent, then your interview decision will come through the mail. if you didnt get an interview, they mail you (not email even if you signed the e-consent)

rolen05: “And here I am anyway. So if you really want to come here (which I would recommend against), then keep the faith my friends.”

Why do you recommend against attending?

@enemyunit

If you look back at what many of the people have said that were accepted/attending the program, many of them say they regret it because they lost the college life that so many high schoolers aspire to experience.

You’re going to school 48/wks a year (aka, you only get 4 weeks off each year) with (from what I understand) ~22 credit hours a semester. . .for SIX YEARS. . .

Yeah, so you save 2 years, but all of that experience, all of the parties, fun times, etc, is what is taken from you.

Personally, I don’t mind the social aspect of college being removed, because that’s not what I am going to college for. I am going to college to learn, and to start a career. . .period.

If people want social activity, and more of a laid back environment, there are other options that will better suite them as such…

[UMKC</a> School of Medicine](<a href=“http://www.med.umkc.edu/med_admissions/default.html]UMKC”>http://www.med.umkc.edu/med_admissions/default.html)

THankins, look at that site. each semester in the undergrad, you’re taking 4 classes max, just like any other undergrad student. only difference is that you come in for a summer semester…to take a WHOPPING two classes in one semester.

so yeah, 6-year programs aren’t nearly as awful and insane as people portray them to be. in fact, it’s almost exactly the same as a traditional route, but only 2 years instead of 4 and the addition of 1 summer semester of just two classes.