UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

can you define "less-than-average stats’'?

<30 ACT I think. 30 is the average accepted score for UMKC

bubbabubba,now don’t give up ,since they do seem to send interview emails in batches,we still have hope.gratefuldead,what do you mean by less than average stats?

The class of 2012 beat the national average on step 1 by a few points and also had a pass rate of 95%. Of course, when the school does well on something, it can only be explained as an “anomaly” or some such nonsense. People tend to cling to their preconceived notions.

Most schools in the country won’t match UVa’s board scores. As the “national average” is just that, a national average, you’d expect most med schools to fall around that number.

Also, to dispel another rumor that is often tossed around this board: UMKC was just re-accredited by the LCME for an 8 year period. Not that anyone was really sweating that, but I just thought I’d toss out a statement of fact for future reference.

Not that I expect it to stop people from saying that the school is about to lose it’s accreditation.

For applicants: there are some positive on the horizon for UMKC, to include a campus expansion with a new building that will integrate all the health sciences programs and connect the buildings with skyways. Sorry, I could only find the link with the details on facebook.

[UMKC</a> School of Medicine’s Notes | Facebook](<a href=“Redirecting...”>Redirecting...)

It’s probably several years down the road, but the school is moving forward into the future.

@ Ilovelost:

I can only refer to my MSAR which has older statistics (graduates from 2001, 2002, and 2003). The percentages for Primary Care were: Internal Medicine 18%, Family Practice 12%, Pediatrics: 10% which is in-line with most medical school’s numbers. I would recommend going to your library and checking out the newest MSAR for the most recent statistics if you are concerned about it. I think they have remained relatively static though. The school uses a primary care setting to teach medicine, but that doesn’t mean you have to do primary care. If you decide to go elsewhere to medical school, then definitely make sure you purchase the MSAR when you start applying. It’s about $25 and very, very useful in your application process.

As for specialties, that really depends on the specialty, but with any medical school it’s possible to specialize. If you add up the numbers I gave above, only 40% of the class went into primary care. Which means that 60% of the class went into other fields.

I like K.C., and I’ve lived all over the country. It’s a nice medium sized city, which means it has a lot to do without being totally urban. Of course, that’s just my opinion on the matter. It might not be what you are looking for. If you come here to look, try and investigate the city on your own and see if it’s up your ally. Go check out the plaza, power and light, catch a baseball game, etc.

Good luck to you.

Nothing in snail mail(thankgod) or in email(pleasegod).Monday is official day off at the school of medicine so may be Tuesday.
Sweet is the fruit of patience!

i got nothing in snail mail or email, i didnt think UMKC sent out interviews in batches. so if they sent out the snail mail on the 14th (when ppl got the email) that means we shud be gettin something in the mail tuesday or wednesday, or hopefully if they do send it in batches, we will get an email haha

BSing2MD what makes you think they reviewed all the applicants and emailed the interviews all on 1/14/11.Maybe you are right but I sure hope you are not.

cherry85, im assuming that they did, because i dont see a reason for them sending them out in batches, i havent heard of them doing, but the might be. hopefully im wrong haha

Did anyone receive interview calls so far for Nov1 deadline applications? I am still waiting. Neither recd email nor postal mail.

Hi bubbabubba, Did anyone receive interview calls ?

nada…:frowning:

I am out of state applicant with the following:
ACT 33
class rank 1 out of 335
GPA 4.0 unweighted(max anyone can get in my state)
ECs: shadowing with pediatrician, radiologist, pediatrician(100+)
Volunteering at hospital(200+)
NYLF/medicine attended
Organized a big run(city wide)
debate president

Any chance of getting interview call ?

Howdy. Heh what I would call less-than-average would be my stats.

MO resident
28 ACT
92 Cumulative GPA (100 scale)
No class rank available (thank you college prep schools)

I would like to say that if you have stats better than mine, plus a good passionate essay, shadow experience, EC’s, good rec’s, and volunteering experience, you should be okay.

wantdoctor,where have you been while we were sweating bullets.NO we have not received any interview emails, NOT CALLS as of yet!

^If you take out the “shadow experience”, how much will it affect the overall app? In other words, how much weight does the “shadow[ing] experience” hold?

you get an interview based on your ACT/SAT,GPA/Class rank,EC’s/Essay(but essay could be bought on line),recommendation letters and you get the acceptance based on your interview.If that helps you any bubbabubba.

I think it does have some weight cause it shows your committment.

Anyone more find out from UMKC? I still haven’t found out yet…

May be end of this week,either snailmail(not) or email ia hopefully.