UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

do you have to pass the USMLE Step 1 in the 4th year of this program? i read that somewhere…

you most definitely will have to pass Boards (USMLE Step 1 & 2). Note that you are required to pass the USMLE exams before being permitted to practice medicine ANYWHERE in the U.S. You’ll be given more than one chance at UMKC SOM if necessary, though.

UMKC SOM has you take an exam called the “CBSE” to see if you’re ready for Step 1, and I believe you won’t be allowed to take Step 1 until you pass the CBSE. Realize that each of the Year 4s will be taking Step 1 at different times, as each student will have a different schedule from Year 4 and onwards. If you plan that year properly, you should have a study month and/or a vacation month to study. This is different from other medical schools where students will take Boards at the same time.

I got an interview! The e-mail I got gave me until January 15 to reply, though. I think someone might have posted January 4th earlier?

“o 11 – 11:45 a.m. Written questions and Break”

What do these written questions consist of?

tiptop1, are you oos or instate? When did you send in your application? Congradulations by the way!

tiptop, what days did they give you?

i just got my interview today!! i’m instate and i applied to the medical school last year but was wait listed. so i’m re applying. Last year interviews went into march and the interview dates that they sent me are for the beginning of February so it seems this is only the second batch of interviews. so if you haven’t received one yet don’t worry.

Just got my interview invitation today. Requested Tuesday Feb. 12th or Friday Feb. 8th.

So far so good.

As far as the Toledo chemistry test, are they like balancing equations and writing equations or are they like titration equations and reaction kinetics?

Awhislyle, are you instate or oos?

i still didnt get,its driving nuts.well any one else?

It’s driving me absolutely crazy, but Mary Anne said my app will be screened in some time this coming week so I guess they haven’t looked at mine yet…

Nothing yet. On the plus side, I was admitted to my safety.

Got interview email today. Have to pick between Jan 30 and Feb 12. In state.

anyone know what a girl should wear to an interview? is it too cold for skirts?

fyi, i’m going on january 23

nice, im going on the 23rd as well

23rd as well

im going on Monday the 28th.

i have a question…this might sound pessimistic. is getting a interview give you a really good chance of getting accepted to the program or is getting an interview not rare?

the reason i feel like this is because i know my essays, req, and activities are really good but my scores are not high and i barely made the rank requirement. So i was kinda shocked that i got an interview.

Im thinking that even if i interview, my scores and rank will prevent me from getting accepted.

Or is it that getting an interview puts everyone on the same level and acceptance is based off the interview and tests you take itself?

Yes to your second idea. From what I hear, everything up until the interview is based off stats, essays, recs, EC’s, and whatever else you give them. From interview on, everyone’s given a clean slate and judged off the interview exclusively, as the tests themselves don’t factor in admission. The Toledo Chem Test for sure and probably the Nelson Denny Reading Test are only there to ensure a basic level of competency. If you pass them, it’s all good, and even if you fail the Toledo Chem Test, it just means you have to take a Chem Class at UMKC this Summer before the start of the program.

Anyone know what to wear for these kind of interviews? more specifically, for girls? Are black pants with a nice shirt sufficient, or skirts or are they looking for more formal such as business suits?

That’s not true. They still consider your entire application in addition to the interview when making the admission decisions.

To Gandhiboy:
Getting an interview is very good. Generally, UMKC invites twice as many students they will accept to interview.