UNC Chapel Hill Early Action Fall 2023

This year, the Early Action (EA) deadline for the UNC Chapel Hill is October 15 .

Welcome to UNC Chapel Hill Early Action, Fall 2023. Ask questions. List your unweighted GPA. Any Sat /Act scores and Ecs. Majors you’re going into etc. We are here to help. Good Luck.

5 Likes

Looking at the UNC CH common data set for last year (see below) does it make sense to even apply for a highly competitive major such as Comp Sci with a 3.7 GPA (since only 2% in that range qualified last year)?

My weighted GPA is 5.5 and I will be out-of-state if that helps.

3 Likes

that does seem low for UNC out of state, any major really. But whether to apply or not is upon to you and only you can answer that. If the rest of your application is impressive then maybe they overlook that GPA. Chances are slim for anyone out of state.

1 Like

when do we expect EA decisions to come down for out of staters?

1 Like

I believe EA decisions will be released on Jan 31

4 Likes

that’s annoying. oh well. I was hoping for some early EA decisions to offset the likely sting of rejection from my daughters ED choice.
(although I expect UNC to be a rejection, as well, being OOS.)

It seems like a lot of her EA schools do not really come out with early decisions (UNC, UVA, U Wash Seattle, USC…).

2 Likes

I agree - it’s disappointing. I wish they’d let us know in December so we can scramble and add more schools before their deadlines if needed. FYI, Northeastern and UVM give December results

1 Like

Thanks. We loved UVM when we toured with our older daughter and it was definitely high on her list as a likely school. But our current senior hates the cold and won’t be applying there or Northeastern for that reason. Forgot to mention that U of Florida, FSU, and the UC system are also schools she likes that won’t make decisions until much later.
She is applying EA to Maryland and to UGA so maybe they will give some December decisions, but they aren’t as high on her list, I think.

2 Likes

Early action for UGA comes out the Friday after Thanksgiving :slight_smile:

4 Likes

EA application was sent this past weekend…first application of the season. S23 is applying as an international (a bucket within OOS). Has strong academics 4.0 and 1530 on the SAT with pretty varied extracurriculars (basketball, MUN, research, drama). Hasn’t really decided on a major.

Good luck to everyone. Had really hoped he would’ve heard back mid December to soften the blow of hearing back from his other EA school.

2 Likes

i thought intls were a bucket of their own?

1 Like

Internationals count against the OOS cap, thus they are considered a bucket within the OOS pool. Have never seen a specific breakout for acceptance rate for internationals (did see a number for SAT averages),

2 Likes

Is he a legacy international? If so that should really help.

1 Like

He is indeed. Class of '94.

Anyone have issues with the portal page email, as in S23 hasn’t received it. At other schools, they have sent it the day after submitting an application. Shows that the college received the application on the Common App, but still no email after almost two weeks (FAQ says to wait).

1 Like

Just went through a grueling round of EA admissions at UGA. But I loved that UGA released detailed statistics on the applicant pool. Does anyone know of any stats on this year’s UNC EA pool? Do they release the stats the day of the announcement like UGA does?

4 Likes

No, they do not.

2 Likes

anyone got into morehead cain scholarship?

My son is a semifinalist for morehead cain, and just did the asynchronous interview. Have no idea what to expect in terms of his chance of becoming a finalist.

2 Likes

Is he in state or out of state?

Out of state. And only the second year our school nominated people, so we don’t have much insight about the process.

4 Likes