UNC to not use race at all

Race will not be a factor at UNC - taking it farther than the Supreme Court which said you can still glean from essays, etc.

Last year, 65% of enrollees identified as Caucasian. Will that # rise?

How about wealth levels - will the disparity rise even more at one of our elite schools?

What about stats? I keep reading from kids who say - now I have a better chance. But do they - if one presumes that URM stats are not as strong and race isn’t a factor, won’t overall stats go up, thus making it even harder for some who thought they were disadvantaged due to affirmative action?

How does this potentially impact the overall student experience? Our society is diverse so how are we helping our kids to experience true society. Many kids grow up in a racially homogenous environment - and part of college is learning outside the classroom. I remember a student from KY at Syracuse telling me I was the first Jewish person they’d ever met. How do we break these barriers ?

Which other schools will follow this trend?

To me, this is a HUGE deal - and while I understand the decision, it’s not good for our kids IMHO. A lot of society already segregates itself - but this will make it worse.

Thoughts?

UNC board’s bans ‘preferential treatment’ based on race | Raleigh News & Observer (newsobserver.com).

1 Like

Wont make it harder for whites and asians. Yes, overall admitted stats may rise if race is not considered, but stats for admitted whites and aaians will stay the same as they already had been, meaning higher than thw current mean.

1 Like

The topic is perfect for the one thread in which race and admissions can be discussed.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/race-in-college-applications-faq-discussion-14/3627043/

You will need to join the politics forum to view it post.

1 Like