undergrad reputation

<p>I heard from my former Principal, that Wisconsin Madison had a reputation for being focused on graduate students. I understand that as a large research university, they are a large part of the population, but is the focus on them more than at any large state run university? By the way, I'm interested in the College of Engineering.</p>

<p>I would say that for a research school they place more emphasis on undergrads than most similar schools. Engineering is a smaller school than at some others like Illinois and Michigan and undergrads their get plenty of attention.</p>

<p>anyone else?</p>

<p>Did my undergrad there eons ago- heard the same but never felt I suffered. In fact, as a chem major it was great to have smart, young grad students for TAs and to spend time doing research in grad labs as a part of some of my chem labs. With at least 28,000 undergrads life on campus is geared towards being an undergrad, you would not feel out of place. Son is there now- although there are many changes the campus feel was the same. BTW the Memorial Union has always been a gathering place for people of all ages(parents with young kids onwards), especially in the summer on the terrace, so a non-student doesn't feel out-of place on campus.</p>

<p>I don't think it's that there's more of an emphasis on grad students, but that the University is just really proud of their research (and they should be).</p>

<p>aswat12389, hope you are still around. I graduated from College of Engineering in late 90s. I think there is some truth in what your principal said. Specifically, you would come across many professors who are very passionate about their research projects and often given personal attention to the well beings of their graduate students. Most also have a keen interest in grooming high potential undergrad for research. So, it is definitely a boon for someone thinking about PhD. </p>

<p>Those heading out to industry won't find their professors making phone calls for them. There is probably no such need given ECS provided a top-notch career service. Having been at another major research university, I think this situation at Madison is not uncommon.</p>