Undergraduate Journalism - GW, NYU, or Syracuse?

<p>I have a bit of a dilemma =// I've already deposited at George Washington University for the School of Media and Public Affairs as a Journalism and Mass Communications Major. I just heard back from NYU and Syracuse who both put me on their waitlists. NYU admitted me to the Liberal Studies Program which isn't the College of Arts and Sciences so I would have to wait two years before becoming fully involved in the Journalism Institute. I am also not sure how easy it is to go from LSP to CAS because students interested in Journalism need to have double majors. Then, Syracuse admitted me to Newhouse for Newspaper and Online Journalism which I know is amazing, one of the best in the country, but I'm not too crazy about Syracuse itself (I've always wanted to live in a big, diverse city. Syracuse, meanwhile, has a traditional campus... and is really cold!). NYU has been my #1 choice but I'm not sure if I should just stick with GW especially because I'm most interested in political journalism. D.C. would offer me great political internships. All three schools have journalism majors based on a liberal arts approach so even at GW I would have to wait about a year to start SMPA courses (not too different than if I went to NYU's LSP?). So, I pretty much have a very tough decision among three awesome but different schools. Plus, I think they are about equal academically and with offering study abroad. Help? Advice? </p>

<p>P.S. Please no one start saying Journalism is a dying art or I shouldn't go to a j-school because a lot of successful journalists haven't... there are other threads for that</p>

<p>Go to where you think you will be happy.</p>

<p>Syracuse not only has a ridiculous program - but they have the ALUMNI and connections. Richard Edelman spoke at graduation this year - look him up if you don’t know who that is. </p>

<p>If you want to graduate with a job, go to Syracuse. The connections you get from being a Newhouse grad are unparalleled. </p>

<p>I’m from the DC area (Bethesda) and I know how you feel about the cold weather…but honestly I had the best four years of my life at SU (and it actually snowed more in DC last year than it did at SU). </p>

<p>Don’t forget that you are a college kid… wouldn’t you want to be in a college environment? NYU has campuses scattered all over the city - not really going to experience the “college life.” GW has a good program, but SU and NYU’s programs are better. </p>

<p>*GW is also one of the most expensive schools in the US, and if you aren’t going there to study medicine, it’s not worth it. </p>

<p>Sorry for my bluntness!</p>

<p>Just wanted to caution any students not to attend Syracuse <em>expecting</em> a job upon graduation. Yes, the alumni connections are incredible, but even the best school cannot guarantee you a placement, especially in this industry.</p>

<p>I would definitely stay at GW. You’re interested in political journalism – why move away from the epicenter of politics? If you’re not a fan of Syracuse, I would nix that idea right away. There’s no reason to waste your time/money at a school you won’t like just because you were accepted. </p>

<p>GW isn’t some sham school. It has alumni and connections, too. It really doesn’t matter who speaks at commencement either. DC life is thriving, but NY is only a short train ride away.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your honesty… for a bunch of different reasons and factors I’m staying with GW =)</p>