Undergraduate Law @ UW

<p>Does a specific pre-law program exist at UW? Legal studies is what I've seen already, but I'm not sure if they're the same thing (excuse me if I'm being dense... I'm just trying to grasp at all the possible career options)</p>

<p>I'm currently undecided on what I want to do, but it's between business and law (as a final career path when graduate is all said and done)</p>

<p>If I decide to do law would I need to do legal studies to get on the right track to go to a grad school somewhere?</p>

<p>Sorry for the vague, and incredibly uninformed questions, but I thought somebody here might have a better idea than me.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance :)</p>

<p>Hi, I dont know much about Law because I'm an incomming intl freshmen as well, but here's what I got about Legal Studies from the website: </p>

<p>"It is, however, a suitable program for pre-law students and for those who plan to concentrate in law-related study to prepare for public service careers or graduate training." </p>

<p>I couldn't find pre-law in the majors list...so I dont really know what they are talking about here. I think you should email, or call them up. </p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Awesome, thanks for the help :)</p>

<p>I found this little section now that I've done some digging.</p>

<p>I'm trying to get an idea of all the classes I need to take to qualify for this major and also to be able to apply to the business school.</p>

<p>I'm considering a double major, but that might be way too much work. When I visit here in a few weeks I'm going to ask them about the difficulty of a double major, heh.</p>

<p>Thanks again :)</p>

<p>Lots of business majors go to law school. A good combo.</p>

<p>I was the pre-law advisor at a large university when I taught there (I am also a lawyer) and you should know that majoring in pre-law or legal studies is not highly regarded by law school admission committees. Their feeling is that they will teach you the law and that your undergraduate years should be spent in exploring a wide range of courses with some that require extensive writing. Check out the law school forum for more on this topic.</p>

<p>Yeah, I have a view to go to Business School as well. You need to make sure you take these bunch of courses (most of them in the core cirriculum) to qualify for admission into the B-school. </p>

<p>You can find the checklist of courses on the B-school wesbite somewhere.</p>

<p>Thanks dda :)</p>

<p>I've been doing some research on the b-school reqs and I think it'd a double major might be pretty difficult. We'll have to wait and see though, I have a ton of AP/Dual-enrollmetn credits to work with.</p>

<p>Hey Denquist (and everyone), </p>

<p>What about majoring in political science? I am considering law school and I am open to a variety of majors, so what do you think is the most appealing undergraduate background to get into law?</p>

<p>My current plan is to major in poly-sci with pre-med so I'll have a good science background also (and because I am still considering med school). If I do this, then I'm sure that's diverse enough for a law school. But if in the coming months I decide to abandon pre-med then how can I enhance my chances with my major and classes I take?</p>

<p>I dont think political science, legal studies, are helpful at all in getting into law school. the LSATS u have to take dont have anything to do with them. the LSATS are very logic based. A good undergrad major for law school would be business, Econ, English , and maybe even mathematics. there is also a statistic i read somewhere that said philosophy majors score the highest on the LSATS.
im planning on majoring in bussiness and minoring in like english or east asian studies and then tryin for law school</p>

<p>Political science is a very popular major for those thinking of law school, but like any major, you should pick it because it is what you like. It was my undergraduate major simply because I liked it more than history or english, two other majors I considered. You should go to college with an open mind because once you start taking courses your initial plans will probably change. If, after a year or two you decide you want to go to law school, I would pick one major and take as many courses in other areas as you want. A double major does not increase your chances for law school admission and can be very stressing. Law school admission is, for the most part, numbers driven so good grades are paramount. That is why it is best to choose a major where you do well because you like the subject matter, not to impress law school admission committees. I have friends that are lawyers that majored in engineering, business, art, english, spanish, accounting, etc. I don't know too many who majored in the hard sciences but that is probably because those people were aiming for med school. Again, I urge you to go to the law school section of this forum and examined the discussions there regarding majors.</p>

<p>Hi, I'm an entering freshman student for the fall of 2007. I also have an extreme desire to become a lawyer. Currently my major is psychology, should I change my major to English or philosophy? Would these majors prepare better for Law School admissions or the LSAT?</p>

<p>MTV, from what I gather from Denquist's awesome posts, you should just do whatever interests you the most. If that's psychology, then stick with it. If that's nuclear engineering, well, stick with that too. </p>

<p>Again, like Denquist said, Law Schools want to see good grades and LSATs, not a specific degree.</p>

<p>Oh, and thanks once more Denquist, you've posted some great info (and I've also gathered some good stuff from the law section as well!)</p>

<p>Knew a woman Chemistry major who chose law school eons ago. Major in whatever your passion is/what interests you the most. Use your undergraduate experience to take all sorts of classes you won't have time for in professional school. Remember there are many different areas of law- business and science backgrounds may be appropriate for those who enjoy the law regarding those fields... I also know of physicians who get law degrees (never knew a lawyer who went to medical school, however...).</p>