Uni of Miami ED chances?

<p>I've been looking for some outsider opinions and this site seems pretty reliable. </p>

<p>I am a dependent of a 9 year Uni of Miami employee, so via tuition remission, I would have from 85-100% off on tuition costs, which is my main reason for applying ED. </p>

<p>Typically when a student applies ED and makes a commitment to the school, admissions counselors are slightly more forgiving and entrance is mildly easier, however at the university of miami, admission rates for ED are actually LOWER than admission rates for regular decision (22% vs 36%). I talked to an admissions officer and he said that is because they get a lot of under-qualified applicants in ED and are not very forgiving, which is why I'm a bit worried. </p>

<p>Anyway, here are my stats:
Major: B.S Chemistry</p>

<p>hispanic, miami native
Unweighted GPA: 3.08
Weighted GPA: 3.82</p>

<p>SAT Math: 730
SAT Critical Reading: 710
SAT Chemistry: 730
(writing is not considered) </p>

<p>AP Chemistry:4
AP US History:3
AP World History:3
AP English language and comp:3 </p>

<p>I am co founder and president of my school chess club, the 1st place HOSA winner for my reigon in nutrition, i have an employment history as an umpire at a local baseball park and I worked as a medical assistant at a nephrology office in Ft. Lauderdale in Summer of 2011 + some M.D recommendation letters. </p>

<p>I'm an active musican and music club member as well as a musical engineer ( i design and build synthesizers with a friend of mine) I am a Certified Solidworks associate (despite having never taken an engineering class) and I'm an active writer of poetry and prose working on a book contract. </p>

<p>I think i have enough extra curricular bonuses, I'm just a bit worried about my unweighted GPA being too low, but my schedule strength is high given that I go to a magnet school and I've taken as many AP classes as I am allowed. </p>

<p>What are my chances? </p>

<p>Thanks in advance</p>

<p>I think your SAT is high enough to get you in. From what I’ve seen on here, a high SAT/ACT usually trumps a low GPA, and a high GPA usually trumps a low SAT/ACT. Now, take this with a grain of salt. When Miami says they use a holistic approach, they actually mean it; they personalize the decisions almost wholly to the individual applicant. There’s no formula, there’s no quota. Also, a low GPA could be overshadowed by a high (or at least relatively high) class rank. Does your school rank, and if they do, do you have access to your rank? That would help us to help you.</p>

<p>I’m not sure what my class rank is but i go to a magnet school that is populated by high achieving students so i would imagine im about top 15%, definitely not 10%. Class is about 300-350. I checked my Student History report again today and my weighted is 4.06 now that virtual school credits have been added.</p>

<p>Okay, that’s definitely not bad for a weighted GPA. I think you’ll get in, especially with your strength of SAT scores.</p>

<p>Ya thanks, I’m just worried that ED may be more scrutinizing</p>

<p>Hope I’m not hijacking, but,</p>

<p>Is ED more scrutinizing for good students, or is it just more scrutinizing for the below average students?</p>

<p>I have a 3.52uw gpa and 4.1 weighted, slight upward trend to a 3.6uw junior year. I scored a 1340/1600 on my SAT. I have decent ECs with some leadership experience via sports. </p>

<p>Will ED help or hurt me? I’m really considering ED.</p>