Union College: Possibly applying ED1 but there are concerns

Kiddo fell in love with Union and wants to apply ED1. Parents have concerns about campus/town safety, social life for low-key kiddo, and food situation. Any insights from students or parents of students?

I edited your title so that you will hopefully get more feedback specific to Union College.

1 Like

Mom - I’ll say this. If your child loves Union, then that’s fine.

Can you afford Union ? Or as a parent, do you want to see other offers - since top kids will get offers and finances may play a part in the family decision?

If so, that’s reason enough to put your foot down on the ED part. Now, if the student doesn’t go ED, perhaps their admission decision changes.

But ED - it’s not just that the kid wants to go - as a family, you give up a lot - anecdotally a better chance at aid (because why incent a kid who is committed) and a chance to compare any other offers that come in.

Last year, Union had a 16% yield - so roughly one of six they admitted attends. It’s really less because that includes ED in which close to 100% attend - so their ED is likely small.

If your student is strong and demonstrates interest, they might get in regardless (or if not qualified, rejected) - and while some ED students say they get merit, most believe that merit goes primarily to RD kids since they need “convincing.”

So - it’s your son’s and your call - but there are legit reason for a parent, IMHO, to say - you can apply, you can attend if everything lines up, but I’m unable to let you go in binding. I did not allow my kids to go anywhere ED - just a personal choice.

Good luck whatever you decide.

1 Like

I can’t answer your questions as a parent, but everyone we’ve known who has gone to Union has been very happy with it. My kid really liked it as well, and frankly, there’s a lot to like.

2 Likes

tsbna44 - thanks for the questions and your perspective. We did a preread for merit aid and the estimate they gave makes tuition affordable. I guess our concern is if kiddo doesn’t apply ED, will that impact the admission decision? Great candidate, not “top” candidate. Normally I’m not keen on ED in general, but seeing kiddo enthusiastic about a campus (after being just okay with all the others) the pull is there to allow ED. And then there is that part that has a hard time allowing a young 17 yo make that assessment…

1 Like

gardenstategal, It’s very reassuring to hear that the Union students you know have been happy! Thank you so much for sharing!

My hunch is that as a strong candidate, he’d get in without ED. The benefit here is less likely then to be the “ED bump” (more important at other reachier schools) and more just being done with the process. But the latter reason can be quite valid.

1 Like