Unique Madison problem?

<p>Homeless for a day.</p>

<p>Move-Out</a> Night to assist temporarily displaced students (Aug. 10, 2009)</p>

<p>Yeah, most of our leases end sometime Aug. 13 (like mine today) to Aug. 15 and most leases don’t start until Aug. 15-Aug 17th. So depending on your situation, most people camp out for the night on the sidewalks and greens spaces with their stuff. I lucked out in the past few years and got to move into my apt. early so I never had to experience it. Basically it is a night of drinking outside. </p>

<p>Secondly, with everyone moving out, we all throw our stuff out and the homeless and hippies like to go dumpster diving giving this time period the nickname, Hippie Christmas.</p>

<p>The City of Madison is doing trash and recycling pick up every day this week to help with that aspect of move out. Also- I suspect some students also are on the lookout for curbside stuff.</p>

<p>It’s still somewhat messy downtown, but lots of stuff has been picked up. Odds and ends are littering some areas. I saw a city truck with a crane on it lifting up a sofa. There were lots of scavengers out during the weekend although I am convinced that something a student doesn’t want is usually something no one should want. LOL. The worst thing was all the the parents, siblings, relatives in town who haven’t the slightest idea where they are going, and having a need to stop in the middle of the road to figure things out.</p>

<p>Much of the construction is finished on University and Campus Drive. Parts of University still need to be done. Maybe next summer. Observatory will be closed probably for another month or so and Charter below Johnson is still closed. It looks like they are doing some work on the Helen C. White roof, and the first floor has been pretty much demolished all summer.</p>

<p>I like this article from the Star Tribune about the tradition.
[Temporary</a> refugees live it up during annual Homeless Night | StarTribune.com](<a href=“http://www.startribune.com/local/53307817.html]Temporary”>http://www.startribune.com/local/53307817.html)</p>

<p>Good article. Thanks</p>