University Delaware Class of 2027 Official Thread

My daughter got trustee scholarship today 17k/yr. Fingers crossed for honors

2 Likes

We are experiencing the same. We got $15K instead of the $17K we were expecting. Not a huge difference, but I’m surprised and disappointed.

1 Like

It’s very odd to have such small differences in merit range over such stats. But even more than this - with UD’s top scholarship, it’s still 40k a year. Seems pricey for top stats at a state school. Just tells me that UD is fine not pulling in the OOS high stats kids.

4 Likes

It’s an interesting strategy. We love UD - we know many kids who have gone there from OOS and every single one of them said it was a great experience. I just would have thought that they would create a financial incentive to pull high stat kids away from their own state schools, and in the process use their great academics to work toward becoming a more competitive university. With 2/3 of students coming from OOS they certainly have a very engaged target audience.

Anyone else get a letter inviting them to apply for world scholars? Just got that today but wondering if we do it would that change the merit. We only got $2k . He doesn’t love the idea of studying abroad but it can’t hurt to apply I guess.

1 Like

Right - exactly. I’m not sure 40k a year with the best stats is going to do it. But, they know better than me! Maybe they are coming regardless. I think of Florida, as a counterexample, which is offering OOS high stats kids COA around 20k. That’s pulling kids from their own states for sure.

1 Like

Agree with you. I am a bit surprised at this. Years back we had boys from our high school with full ride offers. I guess things have changed. That is, unless they were DuPont Scholars and my child just simply isn’t viewed as favorably. It will be their loss.

2 Likes

I think most students are invited to the World Scholars program if their major can accommodate it. I heard it’s a way for schools to space out enrollment between Fall and Spring. The one thing I do not care for is that when they get back to UD, they are required to live in a specific dorm for Int’l students on the North campus, which is not ideal. Not only that rushing occurs Fall of Freshman year for boys and many friendships are made during the 1st semester of freshman year. They also want the students to travel again in Junior year, which to me would put them behind in graduating. I do not believe this is offered for Engineering majors as they do not offer adequate classes. We have a UD friend currently in Spain and she loves it, partying and taking a couple of easy courses.

1 Like

My daughter got that invitation to interview for World Scholars, and she is considering it. I don’t think it increases your merit however. UD has been doing study abroad for years and I understand it to be a very well established program.

My other daughter is a freshman at Northeastern and just got back from a semester in Dublin. Doing her first college semester abroad was such an amazing growth experience! If your son isn’t interested then it isn’t worth pursuing, but if he is curious about it I would have him interview. He can always decline if he is accepted into the program but he doesn’t think it’s for him.

2 Likes

I think those are the DuPont scholars. My daughter graduated from UD in May with the $17,000, honors, similar schools came out with similar tuition with her stats (UMASS, UCONN, Quinnipiac), her sister with similar stats is paying more at Clemson without merit, UMD and Pitt offered less $. College costs are nuts.

So glad everyone is getting merit while some of us are still waiting for an acceptance :weary::weary::weary:. So beyond frustrated, especially when I’m getting emails (as an alum) about donating $. 2.5 months and crickets from UD.

4 Likes

Ugh, I’m sorry. The rolling admissions process is so so frustrating! Hang in there!

1 Like

Congrats to your daughter on her graduation from UD! Given that cost of attendance when she received that $17K scholarship was probably about $7-8K lower than today’s cost, her merit was worth about $25K against today’s expenses - she got a deal! It will be interesting to see if UD ever increases that merit amount as their tuition and fees increase.

1 Like

Does anyone know in terms of rolling admissions
when is typically the latest you would find out? Do they also roll out rejections or are those done at once? Dtr is Waiting on 4 schools ,3 of which appear to be rolling out their ea admissions

We have seen a small number of rejections, I believe on this thread. I’d scroll up to verify, but I believe we had one or two reported.

1 Like

Based on her sister’s acceptances in 2021 merit awards are going down at a lot of schools (Clemson’s top award was down to $12,500, not sure about this year). I’m so glad I have no more kids in high school.

3 Likes

We’re still actively considering UD, but I have to be honest, 41k after top merit is factored in doesn’t strike me as a competitive deal when UD is compared with peers. Other top ranking publics, like U Mass Amherst, which is ranked considerably higher than UD, has the same COA as UD after top merit is factored in. Nothing against UD, which I think is a great school, but again it just seems to me that they are not working to be competitive for high stats OOS kids, for whatever reason.

3 Likes

still waiting for an acceptance here, too.

Personally, I don’t think my OOS D23 will qualify for any merit so the acceptance is for her ego only because we will not pay full cost at $54,000 when she already has 3 acceptances for cheaper full cost schools.

It is a shame because UD has a fabulous program for exercise science (pre PT) students and other than cost, they check all her boxes.

and extra annoying to be asked for alumni money when they can’t even let you know if they will admit your child. I think they need to read the room

3 Likes

Fun fact: University of Delaware was the first college in the country to offer Junior Year Abroad, and it was actually a question on Jeopardy! a long time ago.

2 Likes

Lol I doubt those departments compare donors to student admissions. I had two Rutgers graduates in the house when my other kids applied. The worst is getting donation calls when tuition bills are due but that happens every year.

1 Like