University Fellows Experience Application Question

Hi, My son is filling out the application and was not sure about the best way to fill out the “resume” portion.

Under “Academics” - should he include gpa, test scores, AP scores, etc? Since they do not want any identifying information, he is not sure if they will have his transcript to see these data points. Or is this box for some other academic accolades (NMF, etc.). Or is it for both?

Should he be more narrative in describing his leadership, service, honors/awards, and areas of interest (using “I”), etc. or should this part of the application be more along the lines of a resume with a list and very brief, non-narrative explanations (and never using the word “I”)?

Thank you!

I would put academic activities or awards in the academic section. That could include a broad range of activities. I would not include GPA and test scores if they have a separate section for those data points. Fellows does not believe that a high GPA and Test Scores makes you a great candidate. I would make the resume portion somewhat narrative but still decently concise. It is okay to use the word I.

@look4advice thank you! They do not have a separate section for gpa, test scores, etc.

@look4advice I stand corrected - he just informed me that gpa and test scores are auto-filled into a portion of the application.

I would not write that in if they already have the information. Everyone applying has near perfect scores and grades, so it does not really help you to be redundant. Fellows care more about the person than the numbers and awards.

Agreed - thank you!