University Fellows program and CBH

Do these programs offer merit scholarships or are these programs just offering additional opportunities? They sound like great programs. I automatically qualify for the Presidential full-tuition but am looking to cover room/board since family’s income prohibits any financial aid.

UFE does offer a limited number of Academic Elite Scolarship
See below

ACADEMIC ELITE SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2015-2016

To be considered for the Academic Elite Scholarships, a student must be accepted as a member of the University Fellows Experience. The student must maintain membership in the UFE to continue holding an Academic Elite Scholarship. Complete information on the UFE can be found on the University Fellows website.

There are typically eight to ten of these scholarships offered each year. The pool of eligible applicants ranges from 900 to 1,000 students.

Academic Elite Scholarship recipients typically receive:

$8,500 per year for 4 years
The value of tuition in-state or out-of-state for 4 years
iPad
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE UNIVERSITY FELLOWS EXPERIENCE

A student with an ACT score of 32 or an SAT score of 1400 (critical reading and math scores only) and a high school GPA of 3.8 who is accepted into UA will be eligible to complete the University Fellows Experience application. Applicants must first complete the Honors College application, and then must complete the UFE application.

A student eligible for the Honors College (ACT of 28 or SAT of 1250 and high school GPA of 3.5) may be nominated for consideration by a high school representative or a UA faculty member. The online nomination form (including the student’s full contact information and letter of recommendation) must be completed by a high school representative or UA faculty member. The deadline for nominations is December 1.

In the UFE selection process, the candidate’s academic, extracurricular, service, and leadership achievements will weigh more heavily than grades and test scores.

The Computer Based Honors Program has been known to offer some students an additional stipend but these monies are usually given in smaller amounts to more students than UFE.

There are also some small scholarships that are offered to children of alums etc. in good standing.

You need to fill out the scholarship application by the deadline date to be eligible for any extra scholarships.

There are also some department scholarships but some of these seem to be given out to students who either have a financial need or who do not have the presidential scholarship.

There are outside scholarships that students can apply for during their senior year of HS, check with your guidance office for local scholarships (even small scholarships can add up). There are also many online resources for scholarship opportunities.

Once you are an UA student, there are other scholarship opportunities based on academics, research etc that a student can apply for.

Oh, just a note about the UFE and CBH programs…competition is fierce for these two programs, they both only accept a small percentage of the students who apply. A student must meet all criteria and deadlines, be accepted and fill out applications and essays and pass the interview process. A student may apply for either or both programs.

The UFE one has been covered above, but I know CBH gives fellowships to some students, usually about $4,000 a year (I have heard $2000 - $4000 around here). Unfortunately there isn’t a guarantee as far as I know in being in CBH and receiving one.

In past years, some/many CBH students were given additional awards.

I notice that you will be an eng’g major. You would get an add’l 2500 per year for that.

How much can your family contribute each year?

[QUOTE=""]
I have a college fund so finances are not an issue.

[/QUOTE]

You wrote the above a few months ago…did something change??

I would not advise doing either of these programs in order to get additional scholarship money. There’s no guarantee that you would receive those scholarships, and you should only participate in those programs if you want to do them. Of course, they are valuable experiences and many students want to participate in UFE and CBH even without receiving additional scholarships, so I wouldn’t discourage them, either. Just make sure it’s a good fit for what you want to do in college. FWIW, my daughter is in CBH and she has received a CBH fellowship each year.

@mom2collegekids no, nothing has changed