University Fellows

<p>D got a letter in the mail today inviting her to apply for the University Fellows. Any advice or suggestions?</p>

<p>D got an email yesterday inviting her to apply. I would love to know how important each of the criteria are.</p>

<p>jaf1991: Could you please specify the criteria about which you are concerned? Are the criteria leadership, communications ability & academic achievement?</p>

<p>Coldwind, thanks for responding but she says she's not interested in UF.</p>

1 Like

<p>What is the criteria to get into University Fellows? I am surprised my S did not even get a chance to interview. It seems like a great program.</p>

<p>Midwest Dad – I don’t think that there are set criteria. With 600+ applicants and a minimum test score of 32/1400 it is likely that lots of really impressive applicants don’t make the cut for interviews.</p>

<p>If I remember the number correctly, the “sorry you didn’t make it” letter to my daughter stated that there were 700 applicants. With everyone having honors college stats, and probably commensurate EC’s, thats pretty stiff competition. Like all the qualified kids applying to the Ivies, it’s hard to predict outcomes for individual kids. They may have been looking for something in the essays
 or looking for a certain regional representation, majors, talents, etc. Just a tough numbers game. Only someone on the inside of the decision process could really let us know.</p>

<p>I can relate my Ds experience from last year. She’s a current CBHP, but was very disappointed that she was not selected to even interview for UFE. First there are only 25 spots, and the comments about 700 applicants may be very valid. However, I think from last year some that made it actually had lower stats than lets say the CBHP population 
 But lower is a relative term among students all having 4.0+ GPAs and ACT scores between 32 and 36. My Ds ACT was 35. So the BIG difference is likely the truly amazing community service activities that these young students have accomplished. We felt our D was very active in our community, but the stories we’ve heard are amazing. Many have started their own charities, travelled abroad, and other amazing things that likely outweigh the “normal” over achieving, high stat, wonderfully involved applicant. Also, the program is holy focused on the Alabama and the rural issues of the South 
 It seems to me that last year the vast majority of those that made it were from the South. Doesn’t make the initial disappointment any less painful, but for what it’s worth, the competition is just amazing. Good luck to all those that have been selected to interview! Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>When did the letters go out? We haven’t received anything.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Check your crimson email.</p>

<p>Just checked Crimson email- nothing about Fellows. I’ll call tomorrow.</p>

<p>Anybody know when the Finalists were told of their status last year? My interview was last week and I’m wondering when they send out notifications. Thanks!</p>

<p>I read somewhere on the UA website that Fellow finalists will be announced Tuesday Jan 31</p>

<p>It says BY the 31st meaning that’s the latest, I think.</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID Pro using CC App</p>

<p>Will we get an email in our standard email, too? Or just crim?</p>

<p>I justed looked in my crim and it said I got an email on the 12th saying I didn’t make it. Why did I get rejected so early?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>They probably do several rounds of “down-selecting”. After each round of eliminations, rejection letters go out. </p>

<p>I know that the website says that they pick 40 UFE students, but in the past, the numbers have been much lower
usually in the 20s (so they really need to change that!). Frankly, I don’t know why they have such a small group
it’s a program that I would think could easily accomodate more students (unlike CBH which has good reasons to only accept 40).</p>

<p>Just want to suggest to those of you who aren’t in the habit of checking your Crimson mail regularly
you may want to forward it to whatever mail you do check on a regular basis
so as to not miss anything important.</p>

<p>@mathisfun – 1/12 was the date that the semifinalists were notified and asked to participate in a phone interview
 I would assume that they send an email to everyone else letting them know that they did not move on to the next round.</p>

<p>Met2238: regarding your question: Anybody know when the Finalists were told of their status last year? My interview was last week and I’m wondering when they send out notifications. Thanks!</p>

<p>This was the time line last year (I have no idea if the timeline will follow a similar pattern this year) just sending along for your reference.</p>

<p>2011:
Jan 20th - Received notification of being a semi-finalist/phone interview candidate.
Jan 26th – Semi –Finalist Phone interview. This year phone interviews were held Jan. 17th, 18th, 19th.
Feb 1st - Received notification of selection as a Finalist for the on campus UFE interviews. This notification was by regular mail (postmark 1/28) in a very nice 6x6 red envelope which included information about the on campus interviews.
Feb 25th-26th - On campus UFE interviews. This year the on-campus interviews will be Feb. 17th-18th.</p>

<p>The 2015 UFE class has 31 students. My understanding was 100 were selected from nearly 600 applicants last year for the semi-finalist phone interviews and a little under 60 were invited for the on campus interviews with around 35-40 being invited to become Univ. Fellows. Some did go to other schools. Word is there were approximately 700 applicants for the class of 2016.</p>

<p>Good luck to those waiting notification of the on campus interviews!</p>