University fellowship experience

<p>I really want to be a part of this does anyone know how you get invited to this ?</p>

<p>Are you talking about UFE through the Honors College? Students with a 32 ACT or higher or an SAT of 1400 or higher are invited to apply. Here’s a link:</p>

<p>[Fellows</a> Admission | Honors College](<a href=“http://honors.ua.edu/university-fellows-experience/university-fellows-admission/]Fellows”>http://honors.ua.edu/university-fellows-experience/university-fellows-admission/)</p>

<p>The Honors College usually sends out a letter and emails about this program.</p>

<p>If you don’t have the stats to get invited, you can ask your guidance counselor to recommend you for an invitation. The info on this is on the honors college page of UA’s website.</p>

<p>There’s also a required cumulative GPA of 3.8</p>

<p>I recognize the value of these programs to those who choose to participate and are selected. My intentions are not to offend anyone by what I am about to say, but here goes. </p>

<p>While UFE and CBH are highly sought after by many applicants, I would caution prospective freshmen not to use admittance to either as a singular factor in making a decision of where to attend. I’m not implying that phillygirl has said anything to indicate this by the way. She has certainly not and is only seeking information about the process.</p>

<p>While both of these programs are competitive and have much to offer, they are far from the only worthwhile opportunities at the UA and selection isn’t just a matter of those with the best stats. In the past it seems some prospective freshmen have hung all of their hopes on one or the other and are disappointed when they aren’t selected. Disappointment is natural, but don’t let it hold you back. Interested students should apply by all means and take the process seriously…just realize that not being selected doesn’t really mean much other than the number of slots is limited. Being qualified to apply in the first place puts you among excellent company. Because of their impressive stats, this is the first time many of these students have faced disappointment in applying for something like this. My advice to interested students would be to apply for either or both, but also dig deeper into other opportunities. Those who aren’t selected will likely find other valuable opportunities if they are willing to pick themselves up, brush off the disappointment, and look ahead.</p>

<p>I speak from experience. Our daughter applied and was selected as a semifinalist. She was extremely nervous about the phone interview and completely bombed it in her own opinion. You know what? It hasn’t held her back in any way. She’s enjoyed a myriad of wonderful opportunities and has been awarded additional scholarships. She actually discovered the program wouldn’t have been the best fit for her even though it is an elite program. It hasn’t changed what she has been able to achieve or what she has done since she arrived on campus two years ago.</p>

<p>Good luck, phillygilrl!</p>

<p>ONE HUNDRED PERCENT agree, bamagirls! :slight_smile:
Fellows is a very unique opportunity. Not obtaining one of the Fellows spots should not preclude you from continuing to seek other opportunities at UA and its community. There is truly something for everyone if you seek it.</p>

<p>:) Thanks, aeromom. :)</p>