University Honors Program (UHP)

<p>Does anyone know anything about the UHP? D received invitation to apply, and I've read the info on their website, but was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this? In particular, if a student is already in Honors Engineering, how difficult is it to also be in UHP? Thanks!</p>

<p>I received my invitation to apply a few days ago. </p>

<p>In response to your question; Not exactly sure. I did however read off of Purdue's website that there are only ~140 open slots to participate in the program. Quite a small percentage of the undergraduate freshman. I don't know how many students are invited, but from the relatively miniscule # of open slots, I imagine it must be fairly difficult.</p>

<p>I also have a question regarding the Honors Engineering program...
If a student is accepted into UHP, does this equate to admittance into the honors program of their intended major or discipline? If I'm a student who was accepted into the Undergraduate Engineering program at Purdue, and I am also accepted into the UHP, will I be able to join the Honors Engineering program, or at the least attend Honors Engineering courses? Has your daughter already been admitted into the Honors Engineering program?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Yes, she received a letter re: Honors Engineering a few weeks ago. However, she applied early in September, so she may have just heard back from them early. I'm sure if you've been invited to apply to UHP you'll also be accepted into the Honors Engineering program.
Have you definitely decided to attend Purdue? Are you in-state or OOS?
Good luck to you!</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Yea, I'm pretty sure I'll be attending Purdue next fall. I'm OOS, New York. I'm still waiting on what other colleges offer me in terms of financial aid, but it will have to be pretty significant in order for me to reconsider attending Purdue. My brother goes to Purdue too.</p>

<p>For the Engineering Honors program;
High school metrics: An SAT of 1360 or an ACT of 31 AND top 10% class rank or 3.8 on a 4.0 Purdue calculated GPA (Math, Science, English grades only).</p>

<p>Do you know if thats definitive? I'm fairly certain I can break 1360 (taking SAT this weekend, final time) but I doubt I'm going to meet their GPA/Class Rank requirement...</p>

<p>UHP and departmental honors programs are separate programs. I don't know if all departments require separate applications, but some do. Students can be in both the UHP and the departmental honors programs. If I recall correctly, some departmental honors classes can be used in place of UHP classes for UHP, but I may be mistaken about that.</p>

<p>Hey all!</p>

<p>I am actually a current freshman in the UHP at Purdue. To answer the questions/comments posed in this thread...</p>

<p>1) "I don't know how many students are invited, but from the relatively miniscule # of open slots, I imagine it must be fairly difficult." ---Dr. Chris (Oseto, the head honcho) said that they extended around 300 offers to the class of 2010</p>

<p>2) If you are accepted into the UHP, you stand a pretty good chance of being accepted into your departmental honors program, and in fact, most of the people I know in the UHP are member of a DHP as well.</p>

<p>3) I am not an engineer, but I have several friends who are, and in all actuality, it shouldn't be any more difficult to do both honors programs because many required courses are offered as honors options, like chem, calc, freshman engineering seminars...one of the guys will have earned more than half of his 24 honors hours by the end of the year--as a biochem major, I will have completed 12 hours of honors by the end of the year.</p>

<p>4) credit for honors hours can be granted in five ways: you specifically take an HONR course, you take a course with "honors" in the title, you arrange with the professor ahead of time to do an "honors project" in a regular course, you take a 400- or 500-level course as a freshman or sophomore, or you work for credit in a lab researching (that's actual research, not doing dishes like me :))</p>

<p>That's all I spotted in the thread so far that I can answer, but if there are anymore questions, I am on Winter Holiday now and can answer any questions that arise and give testimony about my experience so far...</p>

<p>Erin</p>

<p>Another fellow UHP'er here, and Erin is spot-on. </p>

<p>The UHP cohort is a collection of a few people from each major program, and is the showcase of Purdue's top undergraduate academic students. While there is significant emphasis on honors classes and trips, it also allows you many other opportunities. Because it's a recruiting tool to compete with other universities, UHP members also get some privileges.</p>

<p>For example, some UHP students in the College of Science got to eat lunch with Purdue's president. Others have been able to get a foot in on research or part-time job opportunities because of the professors, deans, etc. that are in regular contact with the UHP.</p>

<p>As a UHP'er you get priority enrollment for honors classes, and also receive higher priority with your advisors in general. Since each department only has a few UHP students from each class, they tend to give extra help and attention (almost always for the better). It's a really nice way to stand out in a big university like Purdue.</p>

<p>As far as multiple honor programs: almost all UHP people are in their particular school or department's honor programs as well. They overlap pretty easily, and don't really impose much additional graduation requirements. At worst, you will take really interesting (though mostly major-unrelated) classes designed for honors students as your electives, instead of some unrelated class that's boring and designed to be taught 100's at a time.</p>

<p>Getting late, so let me know if any more information would help you.</p>

<p>Bri</p>

<p>I noticed that Engineering students are required to take a few General Education courses. Can you get General Education credits for taking the honor courses?</p>

<p>I don't think so. Gen Ed courses are separate courses such as history, psychology, etc. and you have to have a certain number of hours of General Ed. to graduate. My son took 12 hours of gen. ed. in summer school last summer: he took history and economics.</p>

<p>Actually, I think they do count. See nickel.deuce quote from above:</p>

<p>"you will take really interesting (though mostly major-unrelated) classes designed for honors students as your electives, instead of some unrelated class that's boring and designed to be taught 100's at a time."</p>

<p>I think that's one of the advantages of the honors courses; being able to take these classes to fill the Gen Ed electives.</p>

<p>According to Purdue's site it is mentioned that a student who has an SAT above 1360 and a rank of top 10% or GPA greater than 3.8 can make it to the honors program. </p>

<p>I have a class rank better than the top 10% and i also have a score better than 3.8/4.0. But i have an SAT score of 1330 (M 730, V 600). I have also written the SAT II's in Maths Physics and chemistry and have scored 650, 710, 740 respectively.</p>

<p>I wanted to know if the university will still consider me to the honors program or will i not be applicable due to my SATI score being below their required mark. </p>

<p>Also, is it possible to get admitted into the honors program during the second year incase i am not able to make it as a freshman. </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>When my son applied two years ago, they were very strict about that 31 ACT or 1360 SAT. Perhaps things have changed. I also know (because we weren't happy about it) that Purdue will not even LOOK at SAT II scores. That was a shame because my son's were great, but they would not consider them. I believe your freshman year is the only year you can try and get in the honors program. If I'm wrong about this for the current year, someone please correct me.</p>

<p>I gave a call to the university. Unfortunately, they are still strict about the 1360 SAT I or 31 ACT rule. </p>

<p>They shall not consider a person for UHP if the student has not scored above 1360 in the SAT I or has not qualified for any of the other requirements.</p>

<p>sudu, you can petition for admission for your sophomore year, so if you are still interested, work hard your freshman year and give it another go :)</p>

<p>Sudu,</p>

<p>Are you positive that you are not mistaking those requirements for those of a departmental Honors program?</p>

<p>On the UHP website, <a href="http://www.purdue.edu/provost/honors/index.shtml%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.purdue.edu/provost/honors/index.shtml&lt;/a> , there is no definitive requirement for SAT score, or GPA, or rank. It simply states, </p>

<pre><code>"General selection criteria include: performance on standardized test scores, high school academic record, evidence of creativity and leadership, and demonstrated interest in participating in the UHP community."
</code></pre>

<p>Also, I have received an invitation to apply to the UHP, and my SAT score is only 1280. (although I suppose they can still reject my application)
Maybe it was a fluke that I received an invitation...?</p>

<p>No matter anyway I suppose. No harm in writing two short essays and applying for the hell of it, right?</p>

<p>Also, </p>

<p>You have to be accepted into the University some time before December to receive an invitation I believe..</p>

<p>Thanks for the information. It certainly eased a lot of my tension.</p>

<p>I had applied on November 27th so i hope that i get invited.</p>