University Honors Program

I saw someone was asking about this in January but received no responses so I thought I would ask again!

Does anyone have any experience with this program that they would like to share? From my understanding, students receive priority registration and live in honors housing first year. When I searched way back I found quite a few negative comments warning students to stay away. Are honors only classes offered or are the majority contract honors classes? My son is waiting to hear back from a few colleges that release April 1st. None of them offer honors programs or colleges. We’d love some insight on what current of former students thought of the University Honors Program or the departmental honors programs.

We are trying to compare the Honors Colleges at OU, Texas Tech, and the Honors Program at A&M if that helps!

Thanks so much

I don’t know why you saw negative things about Honors. It is a wonderful program. My D found her home in the Honors housing. she didn’t end up graduating with the Honors diploma, by choice, but that doesn’t diminish the value of the program in helping her get settled In at college and find “her people”.

Thanks @Debbie7452! It sounds like it is a great way to meet some amazing kids, join study groups/cohorts, get a chance to live in the honors dorms, and get extra help with advising and registration! We just haven’t heard any positive comments yet on the actual classes. The feedback we’re hearing is students did not find the honors classes themselves all that helpful vs getting an amazing professor in a regular section of the same course.

We spoke with someone from the honors program when we visited a couple of weeks ago. One of the things that struck us as being really good was much smaller class sizes. Typically honors classes are in the 25 student range although some can be bigger. He showed us the registrations numbers for, I think engineering 112 and the honors classes were around 48 and the non-honors was huge, I want to say 400 but I could be off there. But in all the classes he showed us, honors classes were at biggest 1/4 the size of the regular ones.