University of Alabama application fall 2017

I’m currently a high school student, C/O 2017. I plan to apply to Alabama to attend in fall 2017 & I have some questions about what I need to apply.

1. do I need to send all of my act scores or just my best one? I had one sent recently, but it was not my best. I still need to send my best score, but I also took it another time for a total of 3 times.
  2. When does the online application open? I’ve heard it opens on July 1 but I cannot find this on their actual website.
  3. Can I go ahead and submit my application and scores in July (if the application is open), and have my counselor send my transcript in August when school begins? I don’t know if they will be able to send it in the summer, and I was wondering if it is okay to send it in at different times.

You can send the best score

The app will go live around July 1 but sometimes a slight delay happens

Yes, you can apply when it opens and send transcripts later.

So I already sent them my 29, but I also made a 30. When I send them the 30 will they base my scholarships and admission on that if I send it too before I apply?

Yes, definitely send the 30 and you’ll get another 4.5k/year.

So my son got a 31 and plans to apply next month. But he’s planning on taking it again in September to try and hit the magical 32 number. Any reason he would need to submit the 31 when he applies? Just wait until the September results come back and submit the best one, right? Thanks in advance.

@cheli07 Yes, he can wait.

To OP- you can actually go ahead and send your test scores and transcript even before the application opens up, if you like. Colleges are used to getting things at various times of the year, and blending them all together.

To cheli07 - the only advantage to sending a score early is that when you take the test, you get a set (I think 4) of schools that you can send scores to for free. Otherwise, no reason not to wait.

^ Yes, students should be taking advantage of the 3 or 4 FREE scores that can be sent, if they note that on their ACT tests at the time of the test registration. UA’s ACT code is 0052 and SAT code is 1830.

When we toured the college,the admissions officer told us that if we apply with one score and happen to get a higher score before the December 15th date, that we can resubmit our higher score and they will re-do the merit package. Does anyone know if this is true. My daughter really wants to apply as soon as the application goes live, but has a 31 ACT. She is going to try one more time for the magic number 32. Just debating do we go ahead and apply, pay deposits and resubmit if she does go up or wait until the September test and submit her scores in late September? She wants to get her housing deposit in as soon as it opens.

Of course UA will accept a higher score and re-do merit package as long as deadlines are met! You will be amazed at UA’s personal touch.

The “personal touch” really is impressive for a school of 30,000. I remember emailing before a visit and having a day-long agenda of one-on-one visits rapidly scheduled.

Thanks @aeromom, we have been just amazed at how wonderful the school has been for prospective students!

The application opened up on July 1st for Fall 2017.

Hi, does anyone know if we need teacher recommendation letters/counselor letters for the merit-based scholarships?
(Or for the school in general, do they require recommendation letters?)

No, you do not need LOR for UA’s merit scholarships. Save those for other, outside scholarships :smiley: