University of Alabama- application & scholarships

I started working on my University of Alabama application today but I am confused about a few things

1. Is there no essay
  2. When or do I submit my transcripts

All I saw was the application which I plan on submitting tonight and then a section about sending in test scores

Also I have a question on their scholarships

Will they accept an ACT/SAT test scores they receive before December 15th (even if I submitted my application) for the merit scholarships? I’m trying to aim for a 30 on the September ACT

My friend’s daughter just submitted the app and said no essay. Usually merit is based off the score at time of acceptance but check out their website- it should be spelled out.

@ashtynr99 You have your school send your transcripts to the address on the website or they do it electronically if they are a part of parchment etc. The same with scores. You order from the testing agency and they send direct to the college. You can submit your app tonight but they will wait till both are in to make a decision. If there is already a score sent there they will use that and match it to your file when they get your app and the transcripts in hand. No worries. They confirm what they get as it comes in. Good luck

No essay

Contact your high school and request transcripts to be sent

Yes, your dec rest scores will be good BUT you must select Bama as a receiver of one of the free reports!!!

Apply now and keep testing! And take the SAT, too

@mom2collegekids - to say you’re an incredible source of info would be an understatement (!). Thank you for all the insights and info you share in these threads.

Just to confirm my understanding of your comment above: can a student apply in August, (theoretically) get accepted in the Fall, and continue to take the SAT in an effort to improve potential scholarship $ the student might be eligible for? i.e. - the student is admitted in September with a 3.6 and a 1300 SAT but could improve their potential merit aid if they take the SAT agian in the November and get a 1400…is this correct?

Also - would you happen to know if the out of state merit guidelines on the Admissions website are minimum requirements (meaning a student could hit those thresholds but not be guaranteed to receive the corresponding merit award associated with the various test score thresholds) or are they literal (meaning if you hit those scores, the associated merit award is guaranteed)?

Sorry if this information is posted elsewhere amongst these threads but I didn’t come across it in my scrolling.

Thank you!

@projectmgr, in the past, as I recall, a student could retake until Dec. 15, when the application for the merit scholarships closes. Hopefully @mom2collegekids will confirm that is still the case.

This past year’s policy was that the exams given the first week of December could still count towards raising your merit scholarship.

Thanks @LucieTheLakie & @Roo17 !

Very helpful info!

Yes, I was wondering the same thing as @projectmgr concerning the guidelines for the scholarships and whether they are guaranteed once you are in that threshold.

@DrFixit03 and @projectmgr Yes the merit scholarships are automatic if you have the gpa/score. DS got his initial scholarship offer within a week or two of admission, based on his GPA/ACT.